• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

welding 8.8 axle tubes?? (UPDATE)

ftoy516

NOT PART OF THE HERD!
North Georgia where people still believe in FREEDO
Hey guys i have been looking for information on welding the axle tubes to the center section on an 8.8 axle ...i am trying to redo the job the was done by someone that had limited experience when this axle was set up the first time.under this jeep.....i am redoing the spring perches and shock mounts (i knocked them off with a hammer because the welding was BAD) the shock mounts were in the wrong location and were bottomed out even when the jeep was on flat ground. this axle is going into my friends XJ and i would like to address some things that could be made better while i am fixing the other issues. i would like to do the best job that i can and i thought someone here has experience with this.

i am just trying to figure out if i need to Pre-heat the center section (some say 200 to 300degrees) before welding the tubes to the center and if i need to post heat and wrap the welds afterwords to let it cool down slowly. i would like to do this right so any input will be appreciated. Also i will be doing this with a MIG welder.

Thanks guys.

Re: welding 8.8 axle tubes??

When I did mine I took a torch and got it warm first. The cast was a bitch to weld but take your time and make sure you burn it in good is all the advice I got. Some others will probably chime in with better advice but that's how I did mine. If he was linking it I'd say just truss it. Hope that helps some.

I did the same with mine. Just heat it up some. Make sure it's clean. I used a 75/25 has seemed to help with the different metals

Sounds like an answer has been established....and pretty much how my 8.8 was done in my old XJ and Mustang.

With that said.... Forbanger is that Jason Vanovers old buggy / chassis in your avatar? Miss seein' that tried and true rig around! Almost didn't recognize it without the 44's stretched on 20" WIDE rims! lol

yeah mine worries me and it's welded up. Do you have an old housing laying around by any chance to practice on?

no i don't really have an old housing to practice on, just the one that is under the jeep, and i have never welded to a center section before.
i just figured that someone one here had experience with this.

some of the things i have read make it seem like it is straight forward, however, to me it is better to talk to someone that has done something like this. we'll see, i am going to try to do this tomorrow.

I knocked off the paint then used small propane torch to warm up the housing. I think I used a 220 stick welder on mine then a 110 wire welder on the spiders (preheated).

I fired up the mig HOT and concentrated on the tub more than the housing and seem to do pretty good. Also, welded the center section after I had been welding on the tubs welding on the shock tabs so it was nice and hot already.

tonybolton said:
Sounds like an answer has been established....and pretty much how my 8.8 was done in my old XJ and Mustang.

With that said.... Forbanger is that Jason Vanovers old buggy / chassis in your avatar? Miss seein' that tried and true rig around! Almost didn't recognize it without the 44's stretched on 20" WIDE rims! lol

Yes it is. Back in action, passenger drop instead of driver and different wheels and tires. Hope to see you on the trail

Re: Re: welding 8.8 axle tubes??

Forbanger said:
Yes it is. Back in action, passenger drop instead of driver and different wheels and tires. Hope to see you on the trail
The reason I have my rig is because of that rig. It jus worked!

Yessir. That's why I didn't even ask the price when he said it was for sale! I just said I will take it!

so i just thought that I would give an update....

After cleaning the center section and tubes really good i Preheated the tubes and center with a small propane torch and then tacked it around the tube at North, South, East and West.

Once the center was tacked to the tube i then welded a small section and turned the tubes 180 degrees and welded the opposite side....i continued this until the whole tube was welded....i then post heated the welds just briefly and then wraped the weld with a bath towel to hold the heat as much as possible.

i felt like this turned out worth while and i feel like if someone is going to swap the 8.8 that this is a little bit of piece of mind if you are going to have to go to the trouble to clean the axle up anyway for new brackets.

thanks for the reply's guys

That looks like it turned out nice. I'm thinking I may as well pull the 8.8 from the wifes yj and weld it up before I bolt it in final.