• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

welding an IFS front diff :haha:

oh and i think last yr i saw some1 runnin welded ifs but he was just lockin 1 hub to help turning it could last depending on how u drive ima break mine this summer ohh yyaaa:beer: :beer: :corn: :corn:

If you just wanna break it you don't need to weld it.

Just go to moses lake, jump it once or twice and your done :redneck:

Trust me I've seen it first hand. No work, all fun, and stuff still gets ****ed up :awesomework:

i havent done it. i ran outta time before my trip after swapping in a marlin 4.7 case, packing, making a fire barrel etc. i really wanted to, though. *sigh*

...if and when i do, expect a full report.:awesomework:

that being said, the vehicle was indeed abused. as always.:D

A fresh carrier is best.
The inner CV shaft flange (the diff outputs) have no bearings or bushings to ride in so basically as an open diff (stock) and good fun wheelin where one tire spins a bunch at one time, puts extreme wear on the Diff carrier (keeps making the holes bigger the more its used) cause it is the only support.

Welding it up actually makes the front ends the strongest it will ever be, cause no longer will the shafts spin in the holes.
A big weak link imo is if yours hase a suspension lift, they like to tear mounts from the frame,,,, not so much fun getting them home that way.:redneck:

weld it

way to bring a thread back from 7 months ago :rolleyes:

ha ha I just did mine 87 runner cause next week the sa goes in it worked amazing in the snow and dirt and it took me 30mins to do 5 bolts and carrier cover a 1/4 plate of steel and welded up right inside the housing went copper **** load of snow almost to top but friends were already coming down two turns from top there was a jeep and a yota sa lifted 36 swamps and they couldn't make it as far as I did if it's temp and mud or snow just do it works great

ha ha I just did mine 87 runner cause next week the sa goes in it worked amazing in the snow and dirt and it took me 30mins to do 5 bolts and carrier cover a 1/4 plate of steel and welded up right inside the housing went copper **** load of snow almost to top but friends were already coming down two turns from top there was a jeep and a yota sa lifted 36 swamps and they couldn't make it as far as I did if it's temp and mud or snow just do it works great

30 min, I call BS, lol
I bet all the welding slage left behind did wonders for the bearings too.:awesomework:

please dont sell that thing when your done with it :haha:

Last edited:
True
For lack of a better word I used slag, I mean the metal splatter pieces that end up all over the place. The only welding that wont do that is TIG, and Oxy/Ass, and most people are not set up to weld that thick of metal with a TIG or gas.
I spent least an hour getting that stuff off the gears I did with a wire feed, and the spiders were not even in the housing.