• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Welding

the correct way is up hill and creates a stronger weld FYI :awesomework::redneck::fawkdancesmiley:

But if im in a hurry i too weld downhill, but for the WABO tests that doesnt fly so i can do it either way:redneck:

WABO up or down are just two different certs. Most structural welding requires vert up though.

Floc that. I have a stick welder that I use to hold down the tarp on the wood pile:D

You don't have a hair on your ass if you can't run stick!:flipoff:
Charlie did you say specifically what wire you're using? It may not be suitable for verticle welding.

WABO up or down are just two different certs. Most structural welding requires vert up though.

Charlie did you say specifically what wire you're using? It may not be suitable for verticle welding.

mines a structural cert:awesomework: (both dual shield and stick, I like all the processes but my favorite is TIG need to get my cert in that too im thinking)

Thats kinda what i asked earlier, what kind of wire he was using cause if its the wrong stuff hes gonna have one hell of a time learnin how to do it properly:redneck:

X2 on turning up the wire on over head. Heck turn them both up till you can barely stand it.I dont care what the process:fawkdancesmiley:, turn it up on the overhead! It would also helpthe full pens on those coupons that are failing:mad:. And wear earplugs!!!:FIREdevil: Overhead is just like flat.... It just hurts a S*it bunch more:thud:

Both of my certs are light gage1/8" and under. All positoin vert down stick and flux core wire.

I'd love to get more certs myself, the more you have the more doors it opens for work:awesomework: They are sure expensive though:mad:

I don't really know. The box is gon and I haven't looked in the spool yet. I will look and report back

I really thing it is more than me, than the machine or wire

I think part of the problem is I was pushing the puddle down while trying to go up:looser:

But I am learning. tomorrow I am going to pick up a bunch of scrap for I can play some more.

I will let you know how it is going

You are cleaning the metal before you start welding on it right? That can be an easy night and day difference.

:awesomework::awesomework::beer:

I don't really know. The box is gon and I haven't looked in the spool yet. I will look and report back

I really thing it is more than me, than the machine or wire

I think part of the problem is I was pushing the puddle down while trying to go up:looser:

But I am learning. tomorrow I am going to pick up a bunch of scrap for I can play some more.

I will let you know how it is going

WOOPS! Push that puddle up the hill, you will notice a major difference:awesomework:

Work in a zig-zag pattern going up hill. Don't pause in the middle as it will cause the filler to droop. I just go from one side to the other with a short pause at the end of each.

image178.jpg

one of the other reasons why uphill is considered stronger than downhill on a vertical weld is that impurities/contaminants in the puddle tend to float to the top of the puddle and will get trapped in the weld going downhill whereas uphill they just stay at the top of the puddle. of course, welding downhill is much much easier and still strong if done correctly.

Continuous spot for overhead. Good heat, deep spot then get the **** out till the glow tones down then do it again. Or just a half inch at a time to keep the heat down and the filler staying put.

Last edited:
and make sure you are wearing some good leathers :haha:

if not... can you say OUCH!! :mad:

WORD!! Ive said for a long time, you know your a good welder when you can still weld while doing the pee pee dance to get the burning to stop.

WORD!! Ive said for a long time, you know your a good welder when you can still weld while doing the pee pee dance to get the burning to stop.

or just man up and take the burn...power through it..i weld for just a few min hear and there at work and im to lazy to put my sleeves on ...so slag drops right in the sleeve of my coveralls and ends up around my elbow...my arms look like im a heroin addict...and welding up hill sucks...your machine need to be set right ...work the edges not the middle....