• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What carb should I put 85 or 86 Jeep Renegade

Ed Bister

My buddy want me to find and install him a new carb or a deal on one for a inline 6 if anyone has any sugestions.

Should I use a Webber?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!:beer:

Last edited:
If you absolutely HAVE to go carb, a Motorcraft 2100 is the most common swap. If you buy one, '74 CJ-5 304 works pretty good. I know of a guy that's really happy with his Holley 2300, he had to mess with it a little bit to get it right, getting it jetted right, as I recall he ended up with a 57 jet in one side and a 58 in the other to make it run best with his setup.

THE BEST choice is swapping in a later model 4.0 head ('91-'95 is OBDI, easiest) and the MPFI system, gain almost 50% more hp, more torque, better fuel mileage. You also can get better driveability swapping in a GM TBI, if you pull it from a junkyard it's cheaper than a new Weber. I used to have a link to the complete swap, but it seems to be dead. I just sent a message to the guy that wrote it to see if he has teh source document saved. Binder Planet will have it though, Bill USN-1 is The Man on GM TBI Stuff.

Last edited:
If you can find a good weber, they work okay. I'd do the Motorcraft 2100 myself. Only reason I haven't swapped the one in my car yet is because I'm going to EFI from a Jeep.

swapping in all that fuel injection is a bunch of work thats not needed ive got a quadrajet on my jeep that runs as good as half the injection guys on the trail.

runs as good as half the injection guys on the trail.

Exactly!! A carb is only 1/2 as good.

Very good point.

To be able to wheel you need a pressurized fuel system. Either fuel injection, diesel or propane.

A carb is fine on a fire road but will not operate properly at extreme angles or when bumping over ledges that are on any decent trail.

After you snap a couple shafts or ujoints...the cost difference is nothing.
A complete EFI system can be installed for about $200. If you have to pay for the parts.

My buddy want me to find and install him a new carb or a deal on one for a inline 6 if anyone has any sugestions.

Should I use a Webber?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!:beer:

I have the motorcraft 2100 on mine, and it made a world of difference. I got it off of a 302. Ultimately I am putting my small block chev in it, so it is more of a temp fix.

Right on guys!

This rig doesn't see much trail time i dont think by looking at it....LOL He just wants it to run better. he has a webber on it right now but it seems to drip more gas into the butterfly in the carb....not mist! i think his carb is desprate need of a rebuild or replacment. It does seems to idle ok though....weird! He also says sometimes it dies and then wont start up again for awhile but of course it never does that sitting running in front of my shop.....wtf!

I like the idea of fuel injectioning it but like someone said before there is alot of work to do.....fuel lines, fuel pump, head swap, ECM mounting and harness install.......so on and so forth. I think we just need to get a good carb and call it a day.

what do you guys think?:beer:

Right on guys!

This rig doesn't see much trail time i dont think by looking at it....LOL He just wants it to run better. he has a webber on it right now but it seems to drip more gas into the butterfly in the carb....not mist! i think his carb is desprate need of a rebuild or replacment. It does seems to idle ok though....weird! He also says sometimes it dies and then wont start up again for awhile but of course it never does that sitting running in front of my shop.....wtf!

I like the idea of fuel injectioning it but like someone said before there is alot of work to do.....fuel lines, fuel pump, head swap, ECM mounting and harness install.......so on and so forth. I think we just need to get a good carb and call it a day.

I might happen to know where a H.O. 4.0 intake is and exhaust along with a head...AND I know where a donor XJ is...:awesomework:

I might happen to know where a H.O. 4.0 intake is and exhaust along with a head...AND I know where a donor XJ is...:awesomework:

FI is the BEST answer, just not the easiest. But it's not too hard. If you were going MPFI, a complete donor is that answer, but you really want the '91-'95.

How much work do you want to do on someone else's rig?

Webers are decent carbs, but they don't like too much pressure. Does it have a regulator?

FI is the BEST answer, just not the easiest. But it's not too hard. If you were going MPFI, a complete donor is that answer, but you really want the '91-'95.

How much work do you want to do on someone else's rig?

Webers are decent carbs, but they don't like too much pressure. Does it have a regulator?

I dont think it has a regulator. But it ran like its set up now for a couple years with no problems. It seems like the carb issue because he also told me that he has lost power too. I'm going with rebuild a carb for 100...........:haha:

Thanks

from post #9
He has a weber on it right now but it seems to drip more gas into the butterfly in the carb....not mist! i think his carb is desprate need of a rebuild or replacment. It does seems to idle ok though....weird!

Sounds like it needs a regulator to me. Probably a rebuild, too. Probably the least expensive way to go. Pretty sure Weber recommends about 3.5 psi.