• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What caues death wobble?

Angle of the front end maybe (pumpkin).

I put lift shackels on the front of my YJ and would have the wobble at 45mph to 58mph after that it was fine. Took out the lift shackles and went back to stock, and never had a problem after that.

check your trunion bearings, all your tie rod ends, and wheel bearings. If all those are tight, with no wobble in them then check your caster. that is the top trunion bearing should be at least 2degrees back from the bottom trunion bearing. i would check all the other stuff first.:awesomework:

First step is to rotate your tires and see if it moves/goes away.

Could be an issue with the tire, or a bent wheel.
Beyond that, these guys have given ya a ton of good advice.

It often starts due to something being loose...worn tie rod ends or other steering parts, loose/bad bearings, deteriorated bushings, bad shocks, etc...the loose and worn part can turn a bump or jolt into a never-ending and annoying shake which can become worse at certain speeds and may not go away until ya stop...ANNOYING.

If you can't find anything loose or worn out, next step is alignment. Caster is important, but so is toe. I've seen the common dana 60 death wobble be cured by a touch more toe in.

I fixed mine on a Dana 44 with an 1/8" toe-out, but like previously stated, there are tons of variables, but Bias tires usually bring out the worst.

Gonna be a combo of things (all good advice from previous posts as to areas to look...)...most people 'fix' it by adjusting something out of spec...Too negative of Caster will play a huge roll in death wobble, but will be accompanied by another issue such as bent wheel, tire balance, loose steering/suspension etc....

Ok tires are radials. Put my spare on no change. Checked toe out like this stight edge on out side of tires measured front and back I have an 1/8 differance ove a 35 inch tire. Will start taking apart more tomrrow. Chop Shop's idea works but I dont think the law will let me use "but officer my truck drives better 20 over the speed limit" :haha: :haha:

If everything is tight is this something a steering stablizer might fix?

that is what I put on mine and it got rid of the wobble...

and everything was tight, in spec, or new including all my tires and wheels, so the only thing left was a stabilizer and I have not had a single issue in 3 years...

If everything is tight is this something a steering stablizer might fix?

Unlikely.......but crazier things have happened. :redneck: If i were you I would get an alignment just to be on the safe side. Then with your buddy turning the wheel (lightly back and forth) while the rig is OFF, watch the steering and try to notice if there is EXCESSIVE movement or "play" in anything...this could be be tie rod ends, leafs....ect ect. the list can go on. This is where I would start. Hopefully it is something easily noticeable....:awesomework:

Jack it up for all 4 are off the ground and bring it up to the speed that you noticed it

If they are radials, might have a seperated belt in the tire or two

things to try
raise the air presure
swap the front tires left to right

Personally I would jack the tires up and just spin them and look for run out in the tires. Sounds like a seperated belt to me thow