• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What do you pack in your emergency kit?

slythorne

I have this backpack I always grab when I head out to go wheeling. I have been working on expanding what it is in it, and wanted to hear from others on some good things to include. I know sometimes even when wheeling with friends $h!t happens like you might get stuck in a freak storm and have to wait it out. So far in this backpack I have:

Ponchos, both throw-away and heavier duty.
Small pocket knife, Larger folding knife (w/ small saw)
Multi-Tool, Hobo-Tool
Whistle, Compass, Small Mirror
Small Maglight, Large Maglight
Matches w/waterproof container, Toilet Paper, Zip-lock baggies
Hand Warmers, both instant and solid fuel
Pre-packaged First Aid Kit (threw away cheap band-aids, added heavier duty ones)
Tylenol, Heavy Vinyl Gloves, superglue (forgot it is a 1st aid essential)
cotton balls, Petroleum Gel Lip Balm (can be used as a fire-start aid too)
Canned Meat/Jerky/etc
Energy Bars/Chocolate/etc
Tire Plug Kit, Small spool of wire, Electrical Tape, Wire quick-connects, Fuses
Duck Tape, Zip Ties, JB Quik-Weld, Pair of Mechanix gloves
Heavy duty shoelace, Camp Cord
extra pair of Thermal Socks
Flagging Tape
-More recently added to kit-
Hatchet
Hand powered Chain Saw
Fire Gel

What else is good to add to one?
(Damn this pack is getting heavy lol)

Usually in the vehicle or on me (not in backpack) I have:
Heavy Jacket - Sweater - Long Johns - Heavy Gloves - Fleece Blanket - Tarp - Water

Last edited:
Water. You should always make sure to bring along enough water to last a day or two at least.

Also, you have wire ends and fuses, but no spare wire. I would throw a spool in just in case you have to run new wires to a fuel pump or something.

I would also toss in a small tarp, so you have something to lay down on in case your working on something. Just a little 4x8 if nothing else.

I carry so much ****, it's hard to believe it all fits in the buggy.

Add:

Zip-ties (BIG and small)
Electrical relay
Hand (chain) saw
Compass and maps
Boot laces (cord)
Tire plugs and tire plug tools
Superglue
Tire valve stem
Cold weather gear (liner gloves, balaclava, etc)
Jet flame lighter / waterproof matches
Other ****.......

Last edited:
Spare dry socks and a stocking cap.

I typically also have a blanket in the summer and a sleeping bag in the winter.

I like the fact that you have the stuff in a backpack. If you end up having to walk, you need a way to carry your survival gear.

I pack so much stuff....but I pack for the desert so water is on top of the list.

Some other things not mentioned...
single mirror
4 MREs
A coleman type propain bottle with a torch attachment (this works well to heat your food or heat up metal to bend)
Stainless steel cup
space blanket
Jerkey and packs of peanuts

Also for the desert I pack Amodium AD cause that kind of problem in the desert can kill you in a day.

What's this hobo-tool he's got listed, makes me think I want one....

It is like a pocket knife that splits into two. One side has the fork, the other has the spoon. Also has knife, corkscrew, can and bottle openers as well. Sporks are overated :corn: :stirpot:

I've always thought it would be good to have some connections to get some combat medic stuff, just in case there is a worse case scenario. Instant clot and some morphine syringes would be very handy in case of something like a compound fracture.

If anybody has severe insect allergies, the appropriate stuff should always go with them.

Curious - have any of the larger clubs considered a club purchase of a portable defibrillator that run leaders could carry on the trail? They are expensive, but can save a life.

a foil emergency blanket is small and easy to pack.having all this stuff in a backpack is a great idea...also might think about a contact card.it has all of your info,and your emergency contact info if something should happen to you...

I carry alot of crap. Main things are water, food and fire. A good first aid kit, sutures(full army field kit), quick splints and iodine/alcohol wipes.

I didnt see anybody mention lighting for night. A couple of the LED headlights from homedepot ($9 each) could make a world of diffrence.

Stu

Latest posts