• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What does tow rating really mean?

A whole combination of the like.

There was a big article in 4 wheeler about 4 or 5 months ago.

Basically a tow rating is what the manufacturer deems a vehicle can tow safely. But if you look at the disclaimer it always adds "with load distribution hitch" or "with sway control over 5000lbs" and so on and so forth.

The rating is something a manufacturer puts up to keep thier ass out of hot water.

I doubt it's tires, and I doubt it's the axle.. My guess would be tranny or suspension. I doubt brakes as well because the trailer should be set up with good enough brakes to offset the difference. I have certainly hauled well past my weight rating both in towing and hauling. But I've put a lot into the truck to try and make it handle it too.. Of course when it comes to legal issues, nothing I do will be enough.

The rating is something a manufacturer puts up to keep thier ass out of hot water.

I think this sums it up prety well.

Is this based on the weakest link in the system?

Other things you listed maybe but I don't think this one. I think this is more a warranty thing.....Also for life safety items like brakes for example there is a safety factor involved. This explains why you often hear people say stupid things like "I towed 20,000 with my Four runner no problem". Yeah you may have done it but greatly reduced the safety factor and thus risked the life of others on the road.

It's like engineering, and the X4 spec. to keep warranty issues as low as possible. Mines around 16K, and it's seen 32K :D

so how about the terms 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton? What is this measuring? I've always wondered.

so how about the terms 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton? What is this measuring? I've always wondered.

I believe at one time these numbers refered to how much weight you could haul in the bed of the truck and had little to do with tow ratings. Even today they don't always reflect the tow ratings. My truck for example is a 3/4 ton and has the exact same tow rating as the same year one ton.

I believe at one time these numbers refered to how much weight you could haul in the bed of the truck and had little to do with tow ratings. Even today they don't always reflect the tow ratings. My truck for example is a 3/4 ton and has the exact same tow rating as the same year one ton.

Tow rating or GVWR?

I've always wondered too. My old tow rig was a 3/4 ton. Then I got this Dodge 2500 and realized this is also a 3.4 ton, but a lot beefier.

alright did I miss something? A 1 ton weighs more.. right? At least for Dodges they do. So they wouldn't have the same GVWR and tow rating..

Gross as in vehicle, camper, trailer, occupants all combined. You may call it gross combined, I'de have to go look it up to see what Ford calls it.....
Basically a one ton can haul a heavier camper but you have to then reduce that weight difference from the trailer to stay below gross weight. IIRC it's 21,500 lbs all things combined. Trailer weight or towing weight has a max also which is the same for 3/4 and one tons.

Gross as in vehicle, camper, trailer, occupants all combined. You may call it gross combined, I'de have to go look it up to see what Ford calls it.....
Basically a one ton can haul a heavier camper but you have to then reduce that weight difference from the trailer to stay below gross weight. IIRC it's 21,500 lbs all things combined. Trailer weight or towing weight has a max also which is the same for 3/4 and one tons.

GCWR is with trailer, occupants, fuel, gear, etc.
GVWR is vehicle itself with occupants, gear, fuel, etc.
GAWR is axle weight rating RARELY taken into account.

Is this based on the weakest link in the system?

Rear diff?

HP/TQ?

Tranny?

Tire load range?

Simply put, it means we will constantly overload our junk as we think it'll be "just fine", right up until the hitch rips off the frame!!!!:awesomework: