• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What front springs?

1980cj5

My buddy has a 88 yota on 1 tons and 40s with 63 chevs in the rear which work great, and stock toyota rears in the front. We were screwing with the rear T-case and couldnt get it into 4 wheel. so we tried driving onto a big rock and bent another right front spring.(When he got it the right front spring was bent so we replaced it with a good one.) We were wondering what springs would fit in the front with little to no hanger modifications, and hold up better. The front spring bent way to easy, we were just screwing around in 2wheel and it bent. Any suggestions would be apreciated, and no we do not want to link it right now.

It already has bump stops. The bump stops dont allow very much up travel to prevent the pitman arm from hitting the spring. (it sits very low) Just sitting there the springs seem pretty flat.

i think in this situation any spring might have bent.. without the help of the front to crawl up an obstacle, you are shoving the front tires into a object, that isnt moving. something has to give... the spring bent easier then the rig could shove the heavy running gear up an object...

i have ran rears up front for awhile now at first i bent a couple playing around trying to find a mixed pack i liked. how many leafs are in his spring pack?

other spring options,,, marlincrawler,trail-gear,allpro,etc,etc.....

i think in this situation any spring might have bent.. without the help of the front to crawl up an obstacle, you are shoving the front tires into a object, that isnt moving. something has to give... the spring bent easier then the rig could shove the heavy running gear up an object...

i have ran rears up front for awhile now at first i bent a couple playing around trying to find a mixed pack i liked. how many leafs are in his spring pack?

other spring options,,, marlincrawler,trail-gear,allpro,etc,etc.....

That is kind of what I was thinking, but it seemed like it bent pretty easy.

He has 4leaf packs not inluding the wierd flat wrap sping which is on there and it seems to always bed right at the front of that flat wrap spring. Could we just remove that flat bottom spring or then would we have to much axle wrap?

Jeep wagoneer 7 leafs. you will have to move the hanger tho. But jeep parts on a Yota just seems right.:stirpot:

Jeep wagoneer 7 leafs. you will have to move the hanger tho. But jeep parts on a Yota just seems right.:stirpot:

I Hear you about the jeep parts, just less that will fail:masturbanana[1]: How long are the waggy 7 leafs? 2.5 or 3 inches wide?

Last edited:
i hear you about the jeep parts, just less that will fail:masturbanana[1]: How long are the waggy 7 leafs? 2.5 or 3 inches wide?

2.5 inch wide unsure of length i could measure some later and getback to you. Chop shop should know. If he ever wakes up.

i hear you about the jeep parts, just less that will fail:masturbanana[1]: How long are the waggy 7 leafs? 2.5 or 3 inches wide?

2.5 unsure of length i could measure some later. Or chop shop would know if he ever wakes up.

you only want ot use the top three leaves. The top one, the militray wrap one and the thin one under it. Throw away the overload/flat leaf.

Then get some wranglers or waggy and use the lower 4-5 leafs from the jeep springs to fill in the toyota pack. When done the leaves should stagger down with about 2 inches between each leaf tail.

Look here for details. http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47583

In the build I posted I used 91 rears. I prefer to use the longer third gen springs. It sounds like you friend is using the shorter 1st or 2nd gen ones. The shorter ones tend to bend more, just cuz they are being forced into a tighter arch than a longer one would.

Hey, helpful is my middle name. (actually Im lying):haha:

I got a couple good ideas from the baby blue beater build. This rig might need blocks in the rear too it sits with the front like 2-3 inches higher with the 63s and rears. (Imagine that similar trucks with the same springs sit the same:mad:) Thanks again. (Dont tell boss7 I said that:haha::haha::haha:)

Last edited:
i had 63s in the rear of two toyota now and 36s nthe first one and 39.5 and dont or didnt have blocks.. i had a block on the first one with 36s took it out too tall.. i sat about a inch high in the front.. the new truck got stock rears in front and i sit almost level if not a little low in the front but got a 350 in it and full size axles too! try it with out the block and with i personally did not like the blocks !!

It is already sitting on rears and 63s and the rear is a lot lower. How many leafes were in your pack and what gen rears did you run. A small block cant weigh that much more than a 3.slow

i had the hole leaf pack in the sencond gen with 39s and then had them tore down to a three leaf pack with the 36s..if your going to tear apart the leafs and might wanna go like two inch block but i started with four went to three and finnaly took them all out just to keep me lower..wheeled alot better too and had like 4 rear inch lift spring in the front (36s) you can look at my profile and the read yoda got 63s under it no block

Bernie those spring were shot to begin with and thats why he had the spare set. He was gonna swap them out. That set up works fine.

We had already swapped in the good spring, and we already bent the new spring which wasnt tweaked to begin with. So I am going to do what chop shop did and make a custom pack out of either my stock rears or a set of waggys.