• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What is the best on a Chevy 6.0 Drive by Wire are Drive by Cable (Pros and Cons

bigblue79

I have thanking about Putting a 6.0 in my rockcrawer I have found one that is drive by wire. Just asking what the pros and cons of both.
Drive by wire?
Drive by cable?

DBC is better IMO. DBW just adds a lot of unnecessary complexity. Its not life-altering to have to mess with DBW if that's what you find a deal on though.

Mine is DBW, wish it was cable. But all the newer engines are wire, so it will be getting more and more common.

Old buggy had a DBW, and I changed it to DBC because a few people who drove it complained.

I absolutely HATED the DBC. Used Lokar stuff to convert and f-that.
Pedal sucked for what I was used to. You could feel the cable and butterfly opening in the pedal and that cable was not smooth.
Then I had the cable pop off on a hard roll. I'm sure there are guys who swear by the cable. Good for them.

My opinion is the DBW is far superior, my new car is DBW.

I am absolutely satisfied with the DBW I just switched to on my buggy. It's crisp, smooth and trimable in the software. Every DBW car I have had has woken up in throttle response after a tuning session.

crawlin85cj said:
I am absolutely satisfied with the DBW I just switched to on my buggy. It's crisp, smooth and trimable in the software. Every DBW car I have had has woken up in throttle response after a tuning session.

Do you have the files for your tunes and would you be willing to share them? My DBW has a little lag off of idle and I find it annoying. I've been trying to tune it out and haven't found the trick yet, no one seems to know or be willing to share what they did to get rid of theirs. If it weren't for the lag I wouldn't have any problem with DBW.

My street cars have all been tuned at 21st Century Muscle cars and I have no way of pulling the files. My buggy has MAST electronics in it and you could certainly have that file if you would like but their software is their own animal

I've had both. You can adjust your throttle response on the drive by wire. When I had my 8.1 it was like there was a delay when I stabbed it I didn't know you could adjust it at the time. I also drove 32 hours to top truck in 09 after the first day I was moving my rig at camp and lost all throttle altogether. Had absolutely nothing. Tapped on the box and had to unplug it several times and it finally started working, something to think about is maybe a spare then your stuck hunting junkyards or dealerships. With that said I have a 6.0 in my new build and it will have a drive by cable tb. Just my opinion

Thanks
On the DBW. As anybody had any problem with water and dirt in the pedal. To cause any trouble.

Not sure but that may have been the cause of my problem was never under water but numerous power washes and so on may have caused my problem. We pulled it out and put silicone around it before the tank trap where it was under water and never had another issue.

Just put an LQ4 in my old Chevy having problems with the pedals syncing with the computer don't have that problem with cable don't want to do 2 derail this threat any help you can PM me thanks

I like my DBW it's super responsive but it's also really sensitive. Only really notice when crawling. The tuner took out what ever it is that causes delay. He told me what it's called but I don't remember.

I've asked multiple tuners about the sensitivity setting that ya'll are saying can be adjusted, including an in-depth discussion with Bill at HPTuners. They have all said that there is no such setting. There is one or two tables that can be adjusted that would seem to have something to do with it, but they ultimately do not and are only a fraction of all that is going on. I have tried maxing and zero-ing out those two tables and they have no affect whatsoever on my delay. So if anyone who is saying that the delay can easily just be switched off could kindly point me to where I can do that I would greatly appreciate it. And please don't think I am being a smart-ass, I am genuinely asking because I need help.

mcbroom said:
I have a mast motor and its adjustable
Its actually in your ECM, you either have the M90 or M120. Both are have that functionality.

JJ, quite a few people are running the Mast M90 ecms on their gm takeout motors for tunability. This is one item thats tunable in their software.
Shirleys come to mind, they are running the M90 on LQ9's with cams and are getting low-mid 500's at the crank, and paddle shifting their 6l80's.
Back when I switched my old car, I couldnt find how you tune the pedal lag out of the stock ECM either. I didnt look super hard for a solution though as I had everything to switch to cable.

InDaShop said:
Its actually in your ECM, you either have the M90 or M120. Both are have that functionality.

JJ, quite a few people are running the Mast M90 ecms on their gm takeout motors for tunability. This is one item thats tunable in their software.
Shirleys come to mind, they are running the M90 on LQ9's with cams and are getting low-mid 500's at the crank, and paddle shifting their 6l80's.
Back when I switched my old car, I couldnt find how you tune the pedal lag out of the stock ECM either. I didnt look super hard for a solution though as I had everything to switch to cable.

M90 is just a computer. I don't know if Mast has developed their own software for it or not. If they have and it has a setting, that's great. But I'm not going to change out control systems just to get rid of a little lag. What I understand some above as saying is that they run stock ECM's and have found a setting to tune it out, in which case I would like to know what it is.

Message Shortuning on FB.
http://www.shortuning.com/
His website great guy to talk with. prolly saw my runs this past weekend at hpo. I have almost no delay in mine. Tell him Dean Lickliter with the rock buggy.
Yeah he said he couldn't do anything for the sensitivity. He's tried before and it runs a risk if "bricking" the computer. I cut my gm pedal down to bout 2" and full throttle is only half stoke. That's where I believe my sensitivity is coming from.

The M90 is the computer and software setup MAST developed for their engines. It is over the top awesome in performance. I will be swapping a M90 setup into my YJ this winter.