• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

what is the better way to go for 2" shafts? rcv or ouverson?

2" shafts won't fit in a 14 bolt carrier. If you won't to run 2" inners then the 80 is the way to go.

Cole said:
2" shafts won't fit in a 14 bolt carrier. If you won't to run 2" inners then the 80 is the way to go.
i know that you can only run 40 spline inners in a 14 bolt. but ouverson is making that new 14 bolt to accept 2" inner shafts.the word is they are coming out soon. there violators seem to be out of stock and rcv is in stock. eather will be strong no doubt, but is it worth waiting for ouveson or just do rcv?

has anyone broke the 40 inners? i know they have been breaking the 35 spline rcv stuff. my plan is a 80 center with 2" shafts, our buddy is making some knuckles for us to try. is bobby's new front axle a ouverson or just a regular 14 bolt? cant see if it has the droput center. just trying to figure all of this out since there is 4 or 5 of us from mi wanting to make some stronger fronts.only wanna spend the money once.

why put 2" shafts in a center that cant take that much power 80's are the only way to go.you can put 2" in a old 14 if you really want to :dblthumb:

I've seen several 14 bolt R&Ps broke this year. If I was building a rockbouncer with big power I would run an 80 with 2" 47 spline shafts.
Good luck getting anything from Ouverson in a timely manner

Wide open had some sweet drop out 14 bolts with big knuckles last time I was up there, that would be the best set up in my opinion.That with 2" stubs and 40 spline inners with violator joints.But I love my rockwells.

crosseyed cat said:
need picks of Bobbys new axel :eat: :eat:
get out of the 80's and get on facebook and you would of seen it..lol i finally got on that stupid facebook. come on cory! what did ouverson tell you cory? i know you have been on the list for almost a year. do they have everything for there custom 14 front?

Just because its a dropout doesn't mean it's stronger. It may have less deflection from load bolt or a stronger third
member but its still a waste of time. Why go through the trouble when there's a good solution on the table already. On top of that a housing and third will be way more money than an 80 and you still have to have small inner axles.

Bigshowdawg said:
Just because its a dropout doesn't mean it's stronger. It may have less deflection from load bolt or a stronger third
member but its still a waste of time. Why go through the trouble when there's a good solution on the table already. On top of that a housing and third will be way more money than an 80 and you still have to have small inner axles.

If your building this type of axle then money is not an issue.And I know that the pinion may be bigger on the 80, but the design of the 14 bolt with the extra bearing for the nose of the pinion is a major plus in my book. And the drop out versions are just an ease of maintenance issue for me. I like building them on a table a lot more than laying under one.And I'm not for sure on this but did Timmie ever break a 40 spline inner on his 14 bolts?

Elliott said:
.And I'm not for sure on this but did Timmie ever break a 40 spline inner on his 14 bolts?

Nah he didn't but he did crack the teeth on the ring gear.

I know people who have had stuff on order from Ouverson for well over a year and already paid for it and still dont have anything to show for it. Sucks because he builds some of the best parts out there.

elliott its good you like to work on them on a table because you will be doing that alot

Bigshowdawg said:

X2 14 bolt is a good match to 35spline stuff, maybe 40.

Of course it all depends on how much power your putting down and if you never lift :driving:

Of course I've never had a real motor, I'm just tired of breaking damn Toyota 8" ring gears with a 220k mile stock 22re...

Can't test the axles cause the ring gear will break first. If money isn't an issue go to the TT 10" stuff with 2 3/8 axles. When I go two inch I'm going with jack at Ctm an skipping the ouverson baggage or whatever is goin on.

scott from sunfire has had the 80 with jacks shafts in them for 4 years now.he broke one at ttc the first year. think they were 40 spline inner, those axles are for sale with arb's in them. i talked to him last week and i know when i do a front it will be a 80.custom spool for 2" shafts.rcv's and my buddy's new knuckles.thats what i am doing when the coin comes.

liv2mx said:
scott from sunfire has had the 80 with jacks shafts in them for 4 years now.he broke one at ttc the first year. think they were 40 spline inner, those axles are for sale with arb's in them. i talked to him last week and i know when i do a front it will be a 80.custom spool for 2" shafts.rcv's and my buddy's new knuckles.thats what i am doing when the coin comes.

Those axles were 41 spline and I talked to him about that break on the phone one time. IIRC there was some sort of extenuating circumstance that lead to that breakage.