• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What size tube for a cage?

NateH

I have a JD2 bender and I want to buy a die for it. I am just trying to figure out what size I should get. I want to build a cage first then go onto front bumper and doors. Should I got 2", 1 5/8", 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" tube? I heard that 1 3/4" is more then 2" in tube prices. I am thinking 1 1/2" or 2". What do you guys think? Thanks.

1 3/4" is most common. Ive only used my 2" die for a Scout cage. And my 1 1/2" die on 1 buggy. My 1 1/4" die is too small of a radius and has never been used.

Last edited:
There was a huge debate on this a while ago.

Anywho, most folks use 1 3/4. because it is asthetically pleasing. IMHO 2 inch looks to big and 1 1/2 looks to small.

I built my cage out of 2 inch. It has taken two mild flops and one MAJOR accident when I was run off the road at elbe and hit a tree doing about 30mph. It did not deflect at all.

But some of the smaller cages have been built out of 1 1/2 without deflecting on some minor rolls and flops.

also check regs if you ever want to compete. at one point in time i found that cages had to be 1 3/4" x .120 wall min.

I used 1 1/2 .120 on my exo.. would have liked to go bigger, but weight was an issue for me. my cage would be fawked in a sever roll, but the ocupants will be safe.

3" PVC pipe :haha: seen it :haha:

I used 1 3/4 for mine but I like the liiks of 1 1/2 better, but it looks funny with the stock TJ B pillar and at the time of the cage, the rear half was stock.

P4190752.jpg

Many race car regulations adopted 1 3/4 as the standard roll cage tubing diameter many years ago. This is why it is accepted as the "norm".

I've heard Nascar uses material as thin as .032 wall in cages. Don't use this in your buggy though (unless your a mechanical engineer!).