• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What to watch for with a 98 Cummins 24V?

Lokey

Hi all.

I have a 98 Cummins 24V 3/4 5spd 4x4 with 98K on it. As there seems to be allot of knowledgeable people on the board regarding this powertrain I wanted to ask about the know issues that I need to watch out for.

I have already taken care of installing the Auxillary Fuel Pump and heard about needing to install a fuel pressure guage but beyond that I am not aware of any issues.

Any information that you can provided would be appreciated.

wyfndr

You don't need a fuel pressure gauge...just get the low fuel pressure LED from BD. They are only about $50, as compared to hundreds for a gauge, and way easier to install.

I've heard steering box braces are a good thing on the 4x4's as well.

Try NW-Bombers and TDR...way better info to be had than on a 4x4 site.

wyfndr said:
Hi all.

I have a 98 Cummins 24V 3/4 5spd 4x4 with 98K on it. As there seems to be allot of knowledgeable people on the board regarding this powertrain I wanted to ask about the know issues that I need to watch out for.

I have already taken care of installing the Auxillary Fuel Pump and heard about needing to install a fuel pressure guage but beyond that I am not aware of any issues.

Any information that you can provided would be appreciated.

wyfndr

I would run a fuel guage--myself I haven't yet but with the new soon to be upgrade goodies I will have guage.. Sure the warning LEd is a good idea BUT you can still run low pressure--enough to damage the vp44 pump without geting low enough for the lamp to come on..

The 5th gear nut likes to back off, It will cause damage if you drive it after loosing 5th. The front track bar needs some upgrading, As mentioned before check out NWBombers for help with your rig.

Boomer said:
Those old 12 valves are looking better and better all the time. :D

i LOVE my truck and here soon it will have plenty of power to blow the tranny up :haha: :haha: :haha:

Like has been said the trac bar likes to go away, when the steering gets a bit loose feeling its the trac bar end on the frame going away...

Cam sensors like to go out too, if it looses power and acts like the lift pump is out but still has good pressure its that fawkin sensor and its a BIOTCH to change...

If you have a 6 speed watch the oil level on the trans and t-case. The seal can go out between them all the oil then runs to the t-case and thus starving the input shaft on the trans... Go ahead ask me how I know... :mad:

Other than those things you might want to watch the carrier bearings and ball joints if you haul a lot of weight often.

Putting 345k on a rig teaches you a lot about them... :redneck:

crash said:
I would run a fuel guage--myself I haven't yet but with the new soon to be upgrade goodies I will have guage.. Sure the warning LEd is a good idea BUT you can still run low pressure--enough to damage the vp44 pump without geting low enough for the lamp to come on..

The only time the Low Fuel Pressure LED doesn't work is when the dealer installs the in tank pump to replace the shitty lift pump...the in tank pump is low pressure/high volume which causes the LED to be on all the time.

get a FASS pump...mine runs about 22psi at idle and about 15psi WOT.