• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What' wrong with this picture?

shotmobile

Do you see something missing?

edb96514.jpg

It should look like this.

edb964fa.jpg

Once again the ARB has failed. 5 out of the 6 bolt that hold the two half together have broken off thier heads, and then the rest of the bolt worked its way out and got mangled in the process.

edb96507.jpg

I think it is do to the fact that the preload on the carrier bearrings was not enough. And allowed the case of the ARB to seperate. More to follow.....

It in the front of my Grand Cherokee, it's a HP30. I know, I know it has no place there, but it what I can afford. So there it be.

This is the first gen of the Dana 30. The second generation has the two halves held together with the ring gear bolts.

Just thought I would share some carnage. It's fun to look at when it somebody elses problem.

I've got a lock-rite I'll sell you for cheap as soon as I get my mangled detroit back. Or, you can buy the Detroit and I'll keep the lock rite.

You should rid yourself of this All Ready Broken mumbo Jumbo and get some real lockers. :flipoff:

Ann T has the HP ARB in her YJ no problems after 11 years. You sir, should get your money back.

I have had only one out of 24 arbs that I have installed fail like that--and it was because the housing was bent....

Man there is something seriously wrong wth your axle. It must be slightly bent or something, Because my ARB has never failed me and I'm running the same axle. You might want to get that thing checked for straightness or something. Sorry to break that to you Cory, but that shouldn't be happening. :cool:

See even Crash agree's. Your **** is bent dude. should be able to find a striaght housing pretty cheap or free. I might be able to get ahold of one. It's set up for coil over's and a LA set-up. I used to have it but gave it away and I dont think the guy i gave it to , is using it. I can ask if you want it.

Corey, if you need some loaner bolts for that thing, I can drop 'em off tomorrow night. I think I got a complete set.

Mine's come apart once like that before. My new one for the HP that I have is a one piece. (thank God!)

I doubt it's the preload, it would take quite a stretch for those bolt's to come apart like that. Probably the housing, but think about how much stress is put on those 6 long, little bolt's the way the housing is bolted together. Let's be intelligent here..... why do you think ARB made the case bolt together different????? Because this is a common problem with the locker:looser:

i had this happen to me recently with my d30/ARB setup, i was told it was because of my preload being too loose. i went and got some stronger bolts to go in place and haven't seemed to have a problem, although i'm prolly going to pull the cover just to make sure before this weekend.:redneck:

olllllllo said:
Corey, if you need some loaner bolts for that thing, I can drop 'em off tomorrow night. I think I got a complete set.

Mine's come apart once like that before. My new one for the HP that I have is a one piece. (thank God!)

Thanks Amanda, but I just going up to ARB and get some new ones at lunch. ARB is only two blocks from were I work.

Boonie Buster said:
i had this happen to me recently with my d30/ARB setup, i was told it was because of my preload being too loose. i went and got some stronger bolts to go in place and haven't seemed to have a problem, although i'm prolly going to pull the cover just to make sure before this weekend.:redneck:

Agreed. I pulled one of the bearing caps last night in order to get out one of the bolt heads and the whole damn carrier moved with about a 1/16"to 3/32" side to side(bad preload) on the carrier bearing. The whole ARB was ready just to fall out. You should have to apply a little bit of force to dislodge the carrier if it is set up properly.

Boonie Buster said:

If thats the case you would blow the seals out of the air coupler.. But yes ARB's require MORE preload on the side bearings

I guess I'm just getting lucky. I have the same set-up as corey. And I think I beat my **** pretty hard, but have never had that happen. I still think it's bent. :cool:

crash said:
If thats the case you would blow the seals out of the air coupler.. But yes ARB's require MORE preload on the side bearings

i would think it would have to be a pretty big gap for that to happen though, wouldn't it?