• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What year Dana 60 rear axles have the big bore spindles?

94xjsport94

I wish I knew more
Via some trades i ended up with what i thought was a 98 D60 rear end out of a E350 van. Turns out its from a 95-96 via the BOM number i put into Dana's website. Without taking it apart and measuring, should it have the big bore spindles for 35 spline shafts? If so, i will probably hand onto it. If not, I'll throw it on CL. Thanks!

Not sure on first year it started, but I have a 89, Dana 60 rear from a van & it has the large bore spindles. From what I have seen if it has 3.5" tubes it has the large spindles. Earlier axles have 3.25" tubes.

All you have to do is pull a shaft and look at the spindle... That would have probably been quicker than starting this thread :****:

I had a 94 van 60 with big spindles

Yeah, if you already have the axle, just go look. One thing, don't assume anything, regardless what you read on the internet. 8 years ago, I found an HD 60 rear under a Dodge D300 in a u-pull it yard. All my research (reading other peoples claims on internet) told me an HD 60 had the large bore spindles & 35 spl axles -WRONG! I saw the extra webbing around the chunk, the "HD60" stamped on the diff, and yanked it(the axle) molaugh Turns out it was not a 35 spliner. Fortunately there WAS the extra beef in the spindle to be bored larger... It was only $99 it wasn't a bad deal, but could have been a big mistake.....