• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whats a good 4 link calculator

TBItoy said:
If that is yor ride height, you'll need taller upper link mounts. Like put that bracket on top of a truss

Not questioning you but if ya don't mind explaining why trying to learn more about it and thanks

Re: Whats a good 4 link calculator

I shoot for some generic numbers in the calculator. See what fits under the rig and keep going back and forth until I end up with a setup I feel comfortable with. Usually takes about 3 hours of steady back and forth.

A/s 60-80% and no more that 5% change through travel

Roll axis angle of 0, no more than 2 positive or negative

Pinion change less than 4 degrees each direction.

Also need at least 40 degrees of triangulation minimum.

Try to get upper links as high as possible and as parallel to ground as possible at ride height.

Lower links are typically about same length as tire diameter.

Double triangulation is easier to get all the numbers in the calculator to function correctly through the travel.
As well, this keeps the links pivoting on the link bolts rather than using the misalignment of the joint.

The upper link frame mount is one of the most critical locations. Changes in 1/4 mean a lot. When I build the mounts I usually build them with three holes for adjustments to the a/s. Usually one hole for 60%, one for 70% and one for 80%. As you move the upper link higher the a/s drops and you also need to move the mounting hole forward slightly. Usually 3/4" up and 3/4 forward is what it typically ends up being.

Ok thanks fellas for the input I'll keep check-in back and posting thru out the day I'm also planning to lower the buggy a couple of inches to just gotta modify the front shackles like it to sit about three inches lower

In the calculator, what changes would you make to adjust the roll axis angle? Mine is sitting at -4 and isn't changing with my adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PDK said:
In the calculator, what changes would you make to adjust the roll axis angle? Mine is sitting at -4 and isn't changing with my adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roll axis angle is an imaginary line drawn between the converging endpoints of the upper and lower links.

In a generic double triangulated, the uppers converge behind the rear axle, and lowers converge somewhere in front of the rear axle. View the converging points in the top view and the roll axis angle is viewed in horizontal view. The RAA( roll axis angle) is 0 degrees when both points for upper and lowers are at the same height vertically.

You may need to change separation of the links when viewed from the top.