• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

What's a good ball joint?

mudslayer

Rebuilding my d44 front and looking to put new ball joints in, just looking to see what guys recommend? Friends use the moog greasable ones. Another question is cone washers for high steer arm, the old one had split cone washers and my new one came with solid cones, is there any difference?

I've always used Moog, and had good luck.
However, when I next replace them, I'll consider some of the specialty aftermarket ones. I know Dynatrack now builds D60s, as well as EMF. Both of these seem superior, but also more costly.

Regarding cone washers, I've always used split cone washers.

I use Spicer balljoints. Never seen a non split cone, I would find a split one. EMF in Canada makes the best balljoints, not sure if they do the old style Dana 44 version.

We use moog allot at work and they seem to hold up well but they didn't do so well with full hydro steering. I found the spicer BJ's held up much better.

We use moog allot at work and they seem to hold up well but they didn't do so well with full hydro steering. I found the spicer BJ's held up much better.

This was my experience as well. When I put hydro on my buggy I started killing a set of balljoints every few trips with the moog. I could get at least a year out of the spicer HD's.

Trying NAPA HD ones, supposed to be better than Moogs... we shall see, Lifetime replacement warranty at least :D

I've looked and having trouble finding the right one, late 70's chevy d44, I'm guessing most are the same, any one have a part #?