• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

wheel stuck on car

Glenn

Hi

Twice every year my mom runs into this problem...the wheels on her car get stuck to the mounting flanges when swapping snow tires on or off.

I've told her to loosen the lug nuts a bit and drive a little bit to see if that will loosen them, but that doesn't always work.

Other than advising to hit the wheels with a BFH, what's a good way to keep the wheels from sticking like this?

She is 500 miles away so I can't just go over there and help when this comes up.

Clean the rust off the flange. Maybe try some anti seize. I run into this all the time. I usually karate kick the tire and it pops off.

Is it rust build up or corosion? typically subaru outbacks get alot of corosion on the hub so we use a 90 degree drill and one of those scotch brite wheels.

Typically its corosion that causes them to get stuck. Personally ive onely seen one wheel rusted on and it was a 70' sumthin ford motor home I had to beat the wheel off and the thing looked like it had been sitting for a decade.

Either way if it is corosion its a good idea to clean it off really good since the wheel wont seat right on the hub and can cause a loose wheel.

I'm guessing the problem is alum. mated to steel causing a galvanic reaction (probably enhanced by whatever they drop on the roads around e-burg).

In AK, for the fall mounting (studded's), I used paper at the flange (cut close enuf and press over the lugs) ... In spring, just clean the remnants and a smear of grease.

I'm guessing the problem is alum. mated to steel causing a galvanic reaction (probably enhanced by whatever they drop on the roads around e-burg).

In AK, for the fall mounting (studded's), I used paper at the flange (cut close enuf and press over the lugs) ... In spring, just clean the remnants and a smear of grease.
I doubt the wheels are aluminum. They are cheap snow tires/wheels.

She lives in Montana.

x2. and they dont just put sand on the roads during the winter.....its damn near gravel

I've seen some fairly new cars that I wouldn't drive, that come from out there or east coast. We had an 06 impala that had holes in the floor board. Rust-o-piece-o-shiat