• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

When did Dodge start offering 3rd/crew doors???

jimijam19K

Looking for a future replacement for my ExtendedCab GMC. Reason being, car seats are a PITA to heft over a bench seat to get into the back. Yes my truck has turned into a kid mobile.

I thought of several options.

1. buy/trade for a similar Chev/GMC with a crewcab, prolly step-up to dually at the same time. At least I know my camper will fit the bed. Con, still pushing 6.5TD power (lack of).

2. Buy/trade for a Ford crewcab with PSD. Ford's had crew cabs available for decades and should't have a problem finding one in whatever price range I end up having.

3. What I really want is a CTD :cheer: But I have to have the extra doors or I'm not doing any better than what I got. So I need to know what years did Dodge Rams get full crew doors (preferred) or 3rd-suicide type-doors (acceptable)??

Dodge gurus please enlighten me.

BTW this is NOT intended to be a brand vs. brand debate...there all already plenty of those threads.

TIA
Jim

Pre 2000 Big-Block Chevy/GMC.

I see the 4wd, CC, Dually's available pretty damn cheap these days, and your already familiar with them. BB would suck on gas but (my guess) be better power wise than the 6.5 and gets the job done. Just a little slower than your buddies late-model [insert blank here] Thing I always liked about them is that even the 4wd's were LOW. I don't need or want a lifted tow-rig/DD, good highway cruisers.

Or a early 2001+ with the 6.0 gas. 12-15 mpg normal, 9-12 towing (from what I've heard), nice power and comfortable trucks (at least what I find). Little more $$ but you get new truck.

I would say post '04.5 D-max.... but they are still $$

Didn't Dodge make a CC in the old body style (like pre '94 flavor)? 12V, Mechanical and cheap (usually). Just not super pimp'n and have all the same 'features' that make 70's truck technology what it is.

Pre-powerstroke Ford would be cheap, good engine, good economy, cheap (7.3 or even 6.9), but same issues as early dodge.... wonderful 70's comfort wrapped around them.

The newer trucks ARE just more comfortable to drive....

Not concered about bling factor, that's for sure. Don't mind being slow or the last one to get there. I like things that get the job done with a minimal amout of fanfare.

Don't NEED 4wd but if the price is right why not, my current GMC is 2wd.

I DO NEED a body style with car seat friendly ingress/egress to the back seat. I also want to get a newer/nicer condition body style.

Gas vs. Diesel...after having diesel it's tough to re-consider gas.

The quad cabs from 98-02 are not car seat friendly.. Katie's car seat barely touches the edge of the seat in the back, and not very easy to get it in and out. 03+ are better set up for it, and will do just fine. But still a half assed attempt by Dodge to make a 4 door truck. They finally got it right this year, but I doubt you're wanting to get into a 2010 :redneck:.

Last edited:
Didn't Dodge make a CC in the old body style (like pre '94 flavor)? 12V, Mechanical and cheap (usually). Just not super pimp'n and have all the same 'features' that make 70's truck technology what it is.

No, theres no Cummins crew cab in the pre '94 body style. They stopped making the crew cabs long before they started putting the cummins in them. There are some custom build ones out there though and they are sweet.

The quad cabs from 98-02 are not car seat friendly.. Katie's car seat barely touches the edge of the seat in the back, and not very easy to get it in and out. 03+ are better set up for it, and will do just fine. But still a half assed attempt by Dodge to make a 4 door truck. They finally got it right this year, but I doubt you're wanting to get into a 2010 :redneck:.

This is exactly what I need to hear. The back seat in the GMC is the same as far as the car seat squeezed inbetween the two benches. Even with the 60% half of the bench tilted forward a rear facing infant seat is a bear to get in.

The dodge MEGACABS are true full doors, but your lose the full 8ft bed (shortbed only) unless you go custom and get an aftermarket longbed setup done to it.

Pretty much any ford crewcab from the 70's to today are true full door, and with the newer 94 to 2004 body styles, you can swap in a cummins fairly easy. Find a gasser ford crewcab for dirtcheap, and spent the rest of the money on a cummins swap. (fummins.com, or destroked.com)

Chevy? uhg.

As much as I'd like a CTD, a swap into a different chassis is more than I want to do. If I went Ford I'd just get a PSD and be done.

Once I'm retired for good and all the kids are grown and gone a cool project like that might be in order...but by that time I'm pushing 60.

And then I considered option #4

Stop D.D.ing my truck, keep it for true tow/haul duties and hit up CL for a cheap van or 4dr sedan.

And then I considered option #4

Stop D.D.ing my truck, keep it for true tow/haul duties and hit up CL for a cheap van or 4dr sedan.

My Grand cherokee has three car seats in the back.. It's not as fun to drive, but it gets the job done. Plus it was dirt cheap.

Probably better to wait and get the truck you want later when you have more funds. The dodges aren't big enough until 03, the fords ride terribly until 05. And the chevy, well, we won't discuss the earlier then 01's :redneck:.

And the chevy, well, we won't discuss the earlier then 01's :redneck:.

Remember I drive a 20 year old GM truck, so I know exactly what the deal is with that. I don't hate my truck, it has been a sturdy, reliable rig for years. It's not a smoke the wheels powerhouse but I don't care. At least I'll never have to worry about the 6.5 over powering the TH400 :D

Remember I drive a 20 year old GM truck, so I know exactly what the deal is with that. I don't hate my truck, it has been a sturdy, reliable rig for years. It's not a smoke the wheels powerhouse but I don't care. At least I'll never have to worry about the 6.5 over powering the TH400 :D

That's true... But I prefer simplicity. The duramax is worth some of the headaches.. Same with the more recent powerstrokes. But the cheaper, older models. Just not worth the effort for what you get.

cc

My 98 CC Chevy is adult and carseat friendly my brother is 6'4" and knees do not touch the seat. I'm 6'2 and ride with the seat a ways back. Bb 454 has plenty of power to pull what ever you got. Average MPG 12 towing 10 MPG this is a 4wd. Fwiw

Full crew cab? That's the difference. Maybe I'll just tought it out until the littlest is in a forward facing toddler seat.

Happy Independance Day BTW. I've got 4 racks of ribs to cook and a fresh 30 pack to wash them down so I'll catch up later.