• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which Battery to run with

FiFo

With the role cage going on as well as a winch it’s time I got rid of my old battery and got a new one. Some people say run Optima, but they have three different choices, and other people have say the quality has gone down in resent years and to stay away. All in all I’m more then just a little confused on which battery to run. What does everyone recommend?

Background, I will only be running a single battery in my XJ with has/will have a 4.0L, electric fan, and 8274 winch.

if you run an optima do not get a red top. try the yellow top.

if possible any gel cell should be fine.

Just my .02 Optima red top 36 months free replacement 36 months prorated. i live in Arizona, my last bat. whent the six years...

My red top is toast after just under 2 years...works fine for normal driving but anytime you put a load on it (like 3 or 4 songs with the truck off) it won't barely turn it over. Of course I lost my receipt and the place where I bought it from said not our problem:mad:

84Toyota4x4 said:
Battery is a battery IMO, but I like the gel cells technology (spill proof and stuff)

~T.J.
ya, but orbitals are technically not gel cell batteries. Aren't they more of a dry cell? All I know is I'm good at killing them. :redneck: Odyssey is next when this one finally gives out methinks.

Orbital's and Optima's are pretty much the same thing just a different company. For what Fifo's doin IMO go with a optima yellow top or the orbital comprable

I love my yellow top. For quite a while I was driving the cruiser daily and my alternator took a crap. I drove it for 2 weeks at a time between putting it on the charger. The stock alternator only puts out like 35A, so I felt like I needed the yellow top when I got my winch and I haven't had any problems over the past 3 or 4 years (until the alternator died...).

i've been pretty impressed with my orbital, driving on the starter with no clutch disengagement with the stereo amp, headlights, and fogs on, for 300 miles or so. had it for about 3 months so far, no hickups. we will see in a year though :clappy:

I have been running a Red top for 5 + years (in the sami).
The sami has one, the cummins runs dual reds, my old burb had one.
I even have a couple spairs, I was planning on duals.
But I have not needed it (knock on wood).
Go to there web site, pull up the chart and plug your needs/wants.
Walla you got it, it has warranty info tied to the what & why's.
GI Joes sometimes has the best price (not the last time), shop around.

GRW said:
I have been running a Red top for 5 + years (in the sami).
The sami has one, the cummins runs dual reds, my old burb had one.
I even have a couple spairs, I was planning on duals.
But I have not needed it (knock on wood).
Go to there web site, pull up the chart and plug your needs/wants.
Walla you got it, it has warranty info tied to the what & why's.
GI Joes sometimes has the best price (not the last time), shop around.

yeah but they (yours) are old school redtops. they changed the redtop product line a few years ago and a red top wont last after one leave the light on till its dead trip. i have a whole bunch of them that are dead on the shelf. none of them lasted more that 6 months.

Latest posts