• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Which torque wrench to start with

hunkajunk

I'm just learning to do the work on my jeep wrangler. I want to pick up a torque wrench.

Which one should I get:

Click or beam?

Range?
20-250lbs 3/8th drive seems to cover most specs for my jeep, but some specs are in inch pounds. Can't find one that does both :mad:.

First task is t-case seals.

Are craftsman tools ok? I was looking at this one http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...OOL&subcat=Torque+Wrenches&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

Thanks!
:D

the worst part of a torque wrench is you should have it recalibrated every year says snapon so atleast every couple so at $50 or $100 to calibrate every couple years it adds up spend a little more now and buy the snapon digital bling and never have it calibrated again!!! it even does the math for you no matter what scale you need

I bought the Kobalt brand one at Lowes. It seems to be pretty good quality, and gets the job done. Cost $80.00, comes with a nice carrying case...

If you get one from a pawn shop only think about buying the beam style ones, they dont have springs that can be strecked out if not wound off when not in use. Also dont buy one that have a rachet head that has a changable direction, a torque wrench is ONLY for puting stuff in not for removing stuff.

I have always had access to snap one touque wrenches an they have always done well for me, 1/2 drive beam style and a 3/8 spring style for the smaller stuff

well thats my .02:corn:

I use a torque wrench so rarely that I just got one of those cheapo's from Schmuck's! I couldn't see spending $$ for what few bolts I needed torqued!

I plan on getting a good SK one later, but for now the cheapo works!