• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

which welder?????

reedracing87

powered by ford! what else is there?
Hey guys I'm lookin for a mig welder not a great big one or anything but something that is good enough to weld frame rails & cages I'd really like to keep the cost down & it Hasto be some what user friendly I don't have much experience with a mig but I'm to stubborn to pay someone to do work for me I'm not sure if i need one with a gas tank or if one with out a tank would b plenty good enough for what I'm doin I would say the thickest I would ever weld would be around quarter inch so any input on where I could buy one would be appreciated but remember I'm married & a father of 2 so I'm not made of money lol

You can't go wrong with any of the top name 240 volt machines.
If you want user friendly, don't get a 110v or a flux core IMO.
Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, Esab any of these will do you well. Whatever you look to get call the nearest weld supply and make sure you can get parts, tips, liners, diffusers, nozzles and so on.
That's the problem with the Harbor Freight and other No Name machines, can't get parts.
Start shopping Craigslist and EBay.

Ok yea that was something I forgot to ask didn't know if 110 would be good enough I've pretty well crossed harbor freight out jus from experiance with other electrical tools you mentioned hobart I've seen them @ tractor supply I hopethey are better than t.s.tool sets had bad experiance with their tools

I would go miller or lincoln because you can get parts at every welding supply store. Also go 220 because no matter what they say you can tell a difference in your weld quality. Also go with gas wire. Nongas will produce what looks like a 6010 rod weld and if your gona be welding roll bars togeter you dont want it to look nasty.

reedracing87 said:
Ok yea that was something I forgot to ask didn't know if 110 would be good enough I've pretty well crossed harbor freight out jus from experiance with other electrical tools you mentioned hobart I've seen them @ tractor supply I hopethey are better than t.s.tool sets had bad experiance with their tools

I am with Kelly, Blue is gonna be the best wire machine hands down!
If you can get a good price on a Hobart 220v machine you wont regret it.
110v will be maxed out more than likely and that's where so many guys fail, they think they cant weld but they don't have a good machine to start with.
Just be careful buying used, there are not a lot but some older machines are 3 phase.

I have a friend at a welding supply store with several miller dual voltage machines for sale . The ones I have used work well.
If you save up and buy a quality machine you will not regret it ever

I've Ben talking to the wife about buying 1 & she's hung up on the prices but it wouldn't hurt my feelings to hafto save up to get a good quality machine that will weld good & last a while I'm goin with a 220v gas from what u guys are sayin think that would be my best bet & then hafto find a bunch of scrap metal to practice lol I'm 23 & the the last time I used a mig was in high school so it'll take me a while to get back into the swing

EOR MFG said:
I have a friend at a welding supply store with several miller dual voltage machines for sale . The ones I have used work well.
If you save up and buy a quality machine you will not regret it ever

Every dual voltage machine I ever used worked like a champ!
I have a 110/220 little DC power source and I love it!

kmcminn mentioned a good one, Miller 250x.

Just stopped by tsc & looked @ a Hobart gas welder it was real nice price tag was $1600 but b4 I go dropping that cash I'm goin 2 shop around where do they sell Miller or Lincoln welders at I'd like to check them out

Go to any local weld supply store and they will have them.
Most shops only carry one brand, Miller or Lincoln, so you may have to call around.

If you will go to Miller and Lincolns website they both have msg boards just like this board here. Also on Airgas website you can see what they have and prices.

Don't buy a new Lincoln, they shipped the factory to Mexico and quality went to **** but the older ones are great. Hobart is now made by Miller just a little cheaper. I've got a Miller and a Hobart and love them both. My old Hobart Beta Mig will burn holes through 3/8 if I'm not paying attention.

I have a millermatic 140. I hacve never welded much at all but I bought this thing and started laying beads. You set the thickness of the metal (kinda) and take off. The head regulates wire spead via a sensor. Only draw back is surface has to be clean and you have to maintain a steady speed. But on the pluss side you listen to it and just keep the right sound going and it is awesome! I have welded ALOT with it and about to build a fourwheeler trailer. I have done motor mounts, link mounts and tube caps on chassis with zero weld failure. I got a buddy that works at a welding store so I got a little discount when I got it . Welder, cart, and a big bottle of shield gas for 850 out the door.v thumb.gif

From the way it sounds I better go with the millermatic because I have no idea on what temp to match the the wire speed for the thickness of material lol