• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whitey

TB-F

Ok I cant resist doing a build thread so here it is. For the first time in a long time this project is actualy MINE! I know, weird.

I drove a friends mostly stock toy a while ago and realized that I missed driving one, plus my free air montero died last fall, so. I knew I wanted another DD/ mild wheeler/ hunting vehicle and I remembred that a friend had a destroyed 91 sitting next to his shop, it belonged to some kid related to him who destroyed it in a atempt to get incurance money plan backfired bla bla bla. The body was hashed and the engine had a rod knock but I figured I could find a cab and get the engine rebuilt so I bought it for 200 bucks. While looking for a cab I found a complete truck, another 91 a block from my house (ok Jason found it) 4by reg cab body in decent shape 33's rare 4 cyl sr5 dash $1000 obo. I bought it for $870 and drove it home. There were a bunch of little pidly things wrong with it but hey,I have another 91 parts truck so fixing it up was no problem. I drove it for a bit but 33's and stock gears was iritating, I planed to build it anyways so I bought a detroit to replace the arb I had stolen to put in the front of the re-ntal out of my new 4.88 v6 3rd I had built a few years ago and put it in the rear of whitey. Much beter gearing plus fun drifting corners in the wet!

So now it's time for the full build of the truck. I know some people will wonder why put so much time effort and money in to a DD but it will get wheeled, just not around here, aka reiter.

The victim, whitey.

P1000347.jpg
[/IMG]

I've been colecting parts specific to this build for a bit and some I already had laying about.

Like this front axle. 4.88s arb, cromo longs and hubgears fj60 brakes histeer, completely rebuilt and been siting in the back junk colecting area of my shop for 2 years.

P1000349.jpg
[/IMG]

I vowed years ago to never put leafsprings where leafsprings had never been before in one of my own vehicles and I meant it. I could have gone with coilovers but I was looking for more of a "off the shelf" parts colection, something easily obtainable, so I went with Jeep TJ front coils. Specificly rubicon express 3.5" lift fronts. To locate the axle I will be building a 3 link panhard bar setup, the links will utilize jhonny joints at the axle and polly bushings at the frame. Everything is 1 off parts made by myself.

Anyone who has ever followed one of my builds before knows I like to machine all my own pieces even if I can buy them. This way there exactly what I want.

P1000346.jpg
[/IMG]

I made as much as I could without tearing the truck apart, I am focusing on the front suspension right now so...

Take that years of toyota engineering! I'l give you hi-trac!

P1000350.jpg
[/IMG]

With all that ifs out of the way I knocked the cobwebs off the axle and set it under the truck for some mockup. I want this thing looooow. As low as physicly posible and clear 35's. This is proving to not be all that easy.

P1000354.jpg
[/IMG]

P1000353.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh my, I have less room than I thought. To get this thing to sit where I want I'm going to have to limit the uptravel to 2 1/2". Things are definatly going to be tight.

After initial mockup I located the axle exactly where it needed to go and started on the very, very, very time consuming process of hand making all the little brackets and tabs.

I integrated the coil buckets and the lower link mounts in to one piece

P1000360.jpg
[/IMG]

P1000359.jpg
[/IMG]

More brackets, these happen to be the frame end of the lower links.

P1000358.jpg
[/IMG]

And more... panhard to axle bracket, exploded view.

P1000361.jpg
[/IMG]

I put the lower links on first just to have something atatched to the axle and theye were the easiest to figure out, prety strait forward. I had cut the link tube long and welded the bushing ends on earlier so once I had a actual leingth I could put them the rest of the way together.

P1000356.jpg
[/IMG]

With the lower links on I went after the panhard bar. I knew this was going to be my bigest clearnce isue and the location of the 3rd link depends on where it goes. I wasnt able to get it perfectly paralell with the drag link but it's close enough.

P1000365.jpg
[/IMG]

I had to put a 15deg bend in the end of it to clear the top of the dif but I had expected this.

I said it was tight. In order for the coil to not hit the frame end of the panhard I had to place the mount so it is realy close to the tie rod. This is at compresion to where the tie rod is paralell with the bolt head with the steering maxed. Yikes, but it clears.

P1000366.jpg
[/IMG]

Here again you can see how crowded it is under there, and where the panhard bends around the top of the dif.

P1000368.jpg
[/IMG]

In case you were wondering the lower links are 1.625" .250" wall DOM the upper links are 1.5" .188"wall DOM. All the bungs were multi-pass TIG welded and the bushing ends were also TIG welded on.

P1000363.jpg
[/IMG]

Had to do a little cleanup on the threads after welding. You may also notice that I had to machine the end of this 1" 14tpi tap down so I could grab it in the tailstock of my lathe.

P1000364.jpg
[/IMG]

2" up travel? air bump time.... i know how you like playing on fireroads and i dont think a polly bump'll cut it...

The links are all completed. After puting the 3rd link in I started cycling the suspension in every way posible to find any interfernce isues.

View of the upper link at a little past what full compresion will be.

P1000374.jpg
[/IMG]

upper link is close to the frame on compresion.

P1000369.jpg
[/IMG]

Should all be good at full comp :D

P1000373.jpg
[/IMG]

And at full droop.

P1000375.jpg
[/IMG]

P1000376.jpg
[/IMG]

Pasenger side droop articulation, max up travel on driv.

P1000377.jpg
[/IMG]

22" of travel right here. I will probly be limiting the travel, I want a nice ride, not tons of articulation but both is good :D

P1000378.jpg
[/IMG]

Ah ha! a potential problem! full droop on driv side and comp on pas side creates interfernce isues with the drag link and the frame. The draglink is hiting the frame but it's still another 1/2" untill the axle is where the bumpstop will hit. The shocks may stop travel before it gets here but if not I will notch out the frame where the dashed line is.

P1000380.jpg
[/IMG]

As usual your skills shine...Keepin an eye on this build.So now I know why you have not rode in weeks,fabbin all those little parts got you busy.Missed you last week-end.:awesomework:

Right on Ethan!! Your pretty much the man! everyone gives me compliments on my rig and i make sure and tell them about you and your skills! i have flopped my junk now twice and all the tube work you did held up GREAT!! body panals...not so much. hahahahaha! i got a couple more trucks we are working on building with some friends and they all want there fab work done by you! keep up the good work bud! next time i'm in town i will give ya a buzz and maybe stop in witha wobbly pop or 6. :awesomework::beer:

As usual your skills shine...Keepin an eye on this build.So now I know why you have not rode in weeks,fabbin all those little parts got you busy.Missed you last week-end.:awesomework:

Aparently I missed the invite :fawkdancesmiley:

So last week while waiting on my shocks to show up I thought I would change gears from doing suspension and um... change gears. literaly.

Yanked the trans and t-case out of my 91 parts truck and cleaned them all up, I will use this combo in whitey, the trans in whitey is fine but I needed to pull it to fix a leaky rear main, I also put 4.7:1 gears in the new case so I can now just slap in the new trans t-case combo.

Uh oh! no instructions! crap! :mad: Just kidding :D

P1000381.jpg
[/IMG]

All clearnced and good to go. Remember; if you're puting 4.7 gears in you're case you have to grind down the lowrange shiftfork slightly and dont pound the roll pin in too far, cuz I forgott and had to tear it apart again :looser:

P1000382.jpg
[/IMG]

And hey, it worked! right after I got the case all back together my shockies showed up.

P1000383.jpg
[/IMG]

I started building the shock hoops/coil buckets, decided to go with the bentup tube. Coil squishes down about 5" lower than in this pic.

P1000387.jpg
[/IMG]

Ok, so I was kinda a slacker on geting pics, I had to go back to work witch realy cuts in on my shop time but.. I got the coil mounts doneish, good enuf to set the truck's weight on to ajust my ride height. And she's a low-ri-der. Perfect!

Sneak peek
P1000391.jpg
[/IMG]

I still have to weld everything and I am unfortunatly going to have to move the panhard to frame mount 1/2" to avoid coil interfernce :mad: oh well.