• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Whitey

I made an atempt at getting the front suspension done but I'm still not there. I moved the panhard bar as much as I could bu just threading the johny joint end in all the way and modifying the frame mount, but then the coil hit the edge of the bracket not just the bolt head :looser: so I cut the end off the panhard, machined a new piece and welded it on making the panhard 1 1/2" shorter than it was originaly. With that isue resolved I started work on mounting the shocks. First I checked all the clearnces/ mount off the inside or outside

Checking clearnce.
P1000393.jpg
[/IMG]

So I had tire clearnce to mount the shocks on the outside, but the steering arms would have hit them at full turn so I went with inside.

I'm starting to get tired of making all these little tabs :rolleyes:
P1000394.jpg
[/IMG]

I made an atempt at getting the front suspension done but I'm still not there. I moved the panhard bar as much as I could bu just threading the johny joint end in all the way and modifying the frame mount, but then the coil hit the edge of the bracket not just the bolt head :looser: so I cut the end off the panhard, machined a new piece and welded it on making the panhard 1 1/2" shorter than it was originaly. With that isue resolved I started work on mounting the shocks. First I checked all the clearnces/ mount off the inside or outside

Checking clearnce.
P1000393.jpg
[/IMG]

So I had tire clearnce to mount the shocks on the outside, but the steering arms would have hit them at full turn so I went with inside.

I'm starting to get tired of making all these little tabs :rolleyes:
P1000394.jpg
[/IMG]

Its worth the time to just have him cut them out for you. http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42313

Got the shocks all mounted up, fit nicely. Pieced it back together with the springs to see how it sat / how bouncy it was with the shocks and I couldnt be happier with it :D

P1000397.jpg
[/IMG]

The shocks are fox 11" travel, 2" body 5/8" shaft.

P1000398.jpg
[/IMG]

P1000400.jpg
[/IMG]

Now all I need to do for the suspension is make mounts for the bumpstops, finish the shock/coil towers, measure for, order and make mounts for limiter straps and pull it all back apart and weld everything :D

M-kay, so where I left off, with the suspension mostly done.

Here she be in full glory. Shock/coil hoops done, bumpstops mounted, limiter straps mounted, cycled every wich way possible height ajusted, BAM! Full droop. 1" of shock left when the limiters make it stop.

P1000402.jpg
[/IMG]

The drivers bumpstop was easy. It hits on the frame mount end of the panhard. But the pas side :rolleyes: room was at a premium. Had to mount it to the frame, all tucked up inside. It hits on the jhonny joint of the 3rd link.

P1000403.jpg
[/IMG]

With it all tacked together and the tires on it I just had to take it outside to see how it looked.

P1000405.jpg
[/IMG]

Wee bit low in the ass end but I'l adress that after it's bobbed.

The little hill in the alley didnt even come close to flexing it all the way out.

P1000409.jpg
[/IMG]

Playtime over, it was time to take it back in to the shop and tear it all back apart for final welding. I opted to put the axle back on the stand that it had been on for the last 2 yrs for ease of welding.

P1000410.jpg
[/IMG]

That's a lot of little tabs and brackets :cool:

P1000411.jpg
[/IMG]

I next have to puyll the trans, as it will make welding the frame mounts for the links a lot easier. And I have the one that I built with the crawler case to put in. In the meantime I whacked off the front of the frame because I think it was ugly. I will (did) fab up a new front out of tube and formed plate that will also serve as a winch mounting point.

P1000413.jpg
[/IMG]