• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

who knows how to test a Toy ignitor?

BustedPinion

-=BANNED=-
great weekend so far... yesterday BG's Camry left her stranded, then this morning ((hungover from the GTG no doubt:haha: )) left us stranded in my truck:wtf:

her 95 camry now has no spark at all, and i dont have a spec book on this POS to test her ignitor & distributor .. anyone know what wires/location/procedure to test this thing so i dont have to drop 40 bills on one??? :corn:

95 camry, 2.2

Last edited:
At the coil--make sure you have ignition voltage at the white/red wire. Also make sure you have voltage at the white/red wire at the igniter.

There is no easy way to check output on the dist as it feeds right into the ecm and then the ecm controls the igniter.

if i have 12v at those points then what? is it looped,, as in in ecm sends 12v to ignitor, then that sends 12v to dist.. all via that ONE SAME white /red wire?

Best that I can tell is the distributor sends an output(typically ac sine wave) to the ecm then the ecm sends a pulsed trigger voltage to the igniter which toggles the ground for the coil...

now will this be full on at either point or is it like some where you have like 2 seconds before ign power is cut off after KO position? aka rpm sensor

Last edited:
Probably can test it at my shop (NAPA in Bellevue on 140th and Northup, almost under the I-520) Have the big machine with a bunch of the different test connectors.