• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why are slide-in campers so damn expensive!?

TBItoy

Real question. Why the hell are slide-in truck campers SO expensive?

You can buy a nice/nicer bumper pull camper 14-18' for half of what an 8' slide in costs. Is it just because of the "convenience" or what people will pay for them? They dont' even have a trailer frame under them!

I'd really just like to have it for the ECORS races in particular, where I normally stay 2 nights.

I'm looking for a camper to put on the front of my 32' trailer. Been looking at pop-ups (glorified tents IMO), slide ins, and short bumper pulls. The plan is to remove axle (if applicable) build fork pocket frame under the trailer frame to sit it on and off the trailer as needed. OR, put a trailer hitch on the buggy/race truck and use it to pull the camper up on the 32' (which would be the easiest setup, and give the option of using the camper stand-alone)

I don't want a permanent toy-hauler/camper.

Tent camping is cheap and probably what I'll stick to, but I'm just looking at options.

A 14' bumper pull camper is looking like my best option, but maybe I'm missing something ???

Hope I'm not hi-jacking your thread but thought I would throw it out there. My old man has this he's trying to sell. 2003 Palmino slide in popup. It's like brand new! Still smells new! He's asking $5250. It can fit a shortbed with tailgate down but is made for a longed. It's located 50 miles north of Atlanta. Like I said just throwing it out there.
a6937992-6181-cd25.jpg
a6937992-6192-5697.jpg
a6937992-61a4-a3f4.jpg

This may sounds pretty ghetto-fabulous, but I know several people who tow a trailer with their rig on it and a pop-up behind that trailer. If you're comfortable double-towing, I think that'd be the way to go.

Don't wanna take the pop-up? Fine, leave it. Just wanna take the pop-up? Fine, leave the car hauler.

However, I do like your idea of towing the camper onto the trailer with the trail rig. If you already have the trailers, that'd be the cheapest and easiest route. Only problem is what if something breaks on the trail rig and you can't tow the camper back up there? Maybe consider a small dolly-of-sorts that would allow you to winch the pop-up on to the trailer first, followed by rig?

Just throwin' out some ideas... :fish:

Check around for older ones I bought one about 3 months ago for $300. It is in good shape just missing some of the cushions for one of the beds. The people bought a bumper pull and haven't used it in a couple of years. I had seen it sitting in the back yard and finally just stopped and ask I about fell out when he said how much he wanted.

They are fairly expensive, but I have seen some from the mid 90's for reasonable prices. Check craigslist in Florida-seem to be a lot of them down there.

I double tow my pop-up (with a/c) behind my 28' gooseneck.

It tracks great back there. No issues at all.

a/c works awesome. Only thing mine lacks is a potty.

I paid $4000 for it. It is nice. Sleeps 7

Yeah, I was wondering about the a/c with a pop-up. How effective it is?

I had an old early 70s model pop up in high school, no A/C, saggy slide outs, lime green and orange shag carpet... 8)

Ours is damn big....kings on both ends and the a/c will run you out at night. During the day, in direct sun, it will struggle to keep up, but if you can find shade or put the awning to the west, it works great.

The advantage of the pop-up is the size. They are roomy.

324334_10150327257823091_715208090_8146827_1476634994_o.jpg

attachment.php

TBItoy said:
Yeah, I was wondering about the a/c with a pop-up. How effective it is?

I had an old early 70s model pop up in high school, no A/C, saggy slide outs, lime green and orange shag carpet... 8)

I had 2 pop ups before our current motorhome and the a/c worked great in both. Our last popup had 2 king beds, full kitchen, heat, a hardwall shower, and a fully operational toilet with black tank.

Pop up is sounding better. Never really thought about the "size" of it folded out I guess.

I looked at that triple axle hauler job before Colt bought it. More interested in a serparate camper tho.

Probably gonna have to hold off on a camper anyway... gettin a pool, adding onto the deck/porch, buying another rig, and lookin into building another garage too (or get rid of some projects :p )

wngrog said:
Ours is damn big....kings on both ends and the a/c will run you out at night. During the day, in direct sun, it will struggle to keep up, but if you can find shade or put the awning to the west, it works great.

The advantage of the pop-up is the size. They are roomy.

324334_10150327257823091_715208090_8146827_1476634994_o.jpg

attachment.php
How long is your gooseneck trailer? Are u pulling with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton? just curious as I have been thinking about getting a popup and doing the same thing. I have a 30 foot gooseneck and a chevy 2500HD Duramax.

TBItoy said:
Pop up is sounding better. Never really thought about the "size" of it folded out I guess.

I looked at that triple axle hauler job before Colt bought it. More interested in a serparate camper tho.

Probably gonna have to hold off on a camper anyway... gettin a pool, adding onto the deck/porch, buying another rig, and lookin into building another garage too (or get rid of some projects :p )
Fawk popups, We need to get a cabin rented for durhamtown

Seems like Marc told me that he was going to Durhamtown tomorrow to scout everything out.