• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why does a rig roll?

a wider rig, is usually also heavier and higher....speaking full-bodied rigs, no the buggies.

Most of the time you'd be right. All the rigs I've built or had a hand in building/designing in the last few years have been lower and longer than the typical PNW rig. Mine is the lowest and easily half the weight is less than 3' from the ground.

For the most part rigs roll from blatant driver error. I was following ollllllo through the stump field at naches and carried too much momentum and slid/drove up a stump and flopped it. I could have driven up that little stump easily but my momentum caused an instant changein the cg and over it went. :redneck:

tire rotation + traction... huge factor.

Its amazing what a rig will do when its feeling all wrong and twisted up by just popping it into nuetral, or turning off an ARB.

Its amazing what a rig will do when its feeling all wrong and twisted up by just popping it into nuetral, or turning off an ARB.

Re-read the thread Chris....It's already been determined that,on a linked rig,link geometry has NOTHING to do with a rigs stability:rolleyes:

If the objective is to not roll a vehicle and to obtain that associated skill, I'd say the highest contributing factor to rolling a vehicle is lacked development of that skill.

:scratchhead:

I still don't understand how one could place blame on mechanical variances over physical choices, or vise versa.

With the sum of information.....it's an equation to an answer.

Why does a (specifically stated parameters) rig roll and what contribution factors (side-slope, traction, other variables) both mechanical and human have certain estimated cause?....should have been the question.

And this is why making blanket statements like "wide rigs rule" is not only wrong by perception, but is also fact-less.

Re-read the thread Chris....It's already been determined that,on a linked rig,link geometry has NOTHING to do with a rigs stability:rolleyes:

Link geometry has a huge impact on the other factors for rig stability. Link geometry effect CG and inertia.....
There are really an infinite number of factors which contribute overall. The point of the thread is to show how CG has a MUCH bigger impact than rig width which has a MUCH smaller impact than most people think.:;