• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why K&N filters flow so much

this isnt the first thing ive read on this subject,ive read a few other similar tests all with the same result....paper traps more dirt than a K&N.....but i still run a K&N on my wheeler because when it gets wet it still works,unlike a paper filter gets wet its done....

I like K&N filters. They bring us lots of money when the oil comes off and clogs the MAF sensors. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I took my k&n out of my dodge cuz I was sucking the gauze out of it.I put a paper napa filter in and dropped 2mpg.

I would rather drop a few mpg than filter through a screen door though.

I also use K&N, you just need to keep them clean and be very careful not to over oil the filter. I always let mine drip over night before I re-install.

K&N is pure junk I have seen several tests. They simply are not much better than running no filter at all. If you run one you should wrap a vacumme bag or a pre filter around it becuase even oiled up they do not do the job of a paper filter.

Dear group;
I am of the opinion that hi-flow air filters don't actually do all that much to increase overall performance and the damage they are likely to cause from increased engine wear doesn't justify the added expense of these new hi-tech wonders. IMVHO, there is a MUCH simpler method of determining when an air filter replacement is necessary and it consists of nothing complicated than a stock Toyota vacuum differential switch a couple of vacuum lines, 2 wires and an idiot light. These switches are found on the oil bath air filters of the Toyota FJ-70 2F series engines. This is how they work:
The switch is a simple setup in which two vacuum hoses are connected to it. One of the hoses is connected to a nipple which measures air entering the carburetor before it passes thru the air filter and the second hose is attached to a nipple that is measuring the air after it has passed thru the filter and is on it's way to the carbs' throat. As long as the vacuum differential remains within 3hg of each other, the idiot light on the dash remains off, but once 3hg of vacuum has been attained, the switch activates and completes the electrical circuit and the bulb illuminates, informing the driver that the filter needs to be serviced or replaced. This is a very simply, fool-proof and cheap way of telling when the air filter is clogged and is no loner doing it's job.
Your friend;
LAMAR

You would think if you were smart enough to hook up that system you would be smart enough to change your air filter every time you change your oil ..lol.

Dear 03rubicon;
Yeah, that's an easy solution IF you don't live someplace where 98% of the roads aren't paved. However if you live somewhere that has lots of water or dust then it can become a lifesaver. It's just a monitor to aid the operator in determining when the air filter becomes clogged is all. Sheesh!
Your friend;
LAMAR

:clappy: :clappy: :clappy: LAMAR!!!!! :clappy: :clappy: :clappy:

Glad to see you have graced this little site with your jungley knowledge :beer: :beer:

Welcome!!