• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Why Propane?

Everyone has already given the reasons for running propane. High octane, clean burning, completely sealed, will run at all angles. You can let the rig sit for a year, put a good battery in it and fire it up. If you let gasoline sit for 90 days it will go bad and clog up everything. Propane carburetion is dirt simple and works. Generally there is a 10% loss of horsepower on the top end but on the low end you pick up torque, which is what you need.

Re:

juicetenn said:
Anybody need a propane regulator and mixer by chance? I got one I don't need. Been meaning to post it in sales. Just been lazy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Pm sent for more info. :popcorn:

If anyone is having issues burning through a bottle of propane quicker than "normal" make sure the timing is adjusted properly first. This is critical on a propane engine. Also Impco mixers are preset for best economy when built so if the power mixture has been changed it will effect fuel usage as well as a dirty air filter. The only setting that needs to be adjusted is the idle mixture. I cannot say the same for the imported components.

altfuel1991 said:
If anyone is having issues burning through a bottle of propane quicker than "normal" make sure the timing is adjusted properly first. This is critical on a propane engine. Also Impco mixers are preset for best economy when built so if the power mixture has been changed it will effect fuel usage as well as a dirty air filter. The only setting that needs to be adjusted is the idle mixture. I cannot say the same for the imported components.
he's like the hank hill of the off road community. I don't mean that in a bad way

Re:

I swear GT Buggy on here used to go through a tank in less than a couple of hours.

Re:

mdo817 said:
I swear GT Buggy on here used to go through a tank in less than a couple of hours.

Displacement will eat up any fuel, but a pane motor properly tuned with a SMALL camshaft that doesn't have much over lap should run 6-8 hours.

You have to be careful though, some places are Notorious for under filling bottles, which could explain part of why some have such bad luck... Mixture, timing, camshaft

Re:

mdo817 said:

Me and Anthony can go through propane like crazy in one weekend. His is 500caddy mine is BBF472 12.2 compression

SBC 406 with a small cam. Was burning 2 tanks easy in a day. Once I set the timing like Buddy told me to, went to one tank in about 8 hours worth of riding. Also they burn a lot Idling. I try to only let my idle while I'm winching. Just turning it off and restarted seems to have helped with fuel usage also.

I can burn two tanks a day with my 383 easy if I wheel 6 hours , usually I burn one and half and I too shut it down now instead of sitting idling a lot, that and you can't talk with open headers well!

altfuel1991 said:
Everyone has already given the reasons for running propane. High octane, clean burning, completely sealed, will run at all angles. You can let the rig sit for a year, put a good battery in it and fire it up. If you let gasoline sit for 90 days it will go bad and clog up everything. Propane carburetion is dirt simple and works. Generally there is a 10% loss of horsepower on the top end but on the low end you pick up torque, which is what you need.

100% true. I went on the hardline gray rock ride in February. My rig sat until 2 weeks ago, it fired right up, no problems.

altfuel1991 said:
I have been having some issues tuning my propane system. I called Buddy on Wednesday and he was EXTREMELY helpful and was willing to answer any questions I had. I ordered some parts from him at 5:00pm Wednesday, received them the very next day. He also sent me the basic specs for setting the timing which has helped out considerably. This is the first time I have done business with them and I would suggest them to anyone. It's hard to find GREAT customer service and Buddy was top notch! Thanks for all your help.

I can run all day and part of another on a bottle. But it doesn't take me but a try or two to make it up stuff, just sayin. Sammy buggy FTW.

Ps. Make sure the air is bled out of the tank when it's filled.

Bump for propane sucking balls ... Just spent 100 bucks getting 4 bottles refilled. Which I truly believe is bullshit , and I think he added it up wrong ... Two of the bottles says he put 8.2 gallons in it !??? Can't wait for efi.