• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

why?!?!?

4x4travis

I'm starting to get kinda pissed that I bought a '87 4RNR instead of an '84 or '85. I want to build it up for wheeling, but its IFS so I'd have to do a SAS to make it trail worthy. One problem; buying this thing took all my money!:mad: Now I'm stuck with a pretty much useless truck (for wheeling anyway). I wish doing an SAS wasnt so costly :booo: sorry I had to vent.

Oh yeah, I was thinking, if I some how (by a miracle of god) found a complete, rolling '84 or '85 4RNR chassis, would it be feasable to just swap my motor and body onto it? I know, its just a dream :mad: :toilet: :puke: :wheelchair::wtf:

Lifting an 84/85 properly costs just as much, it's a tossup between the two. Doing a motor and body swap is a much bigger PITA than an axle swap IMO

just take your time keep the rig save your money and then beat the **** out of the ifs like i did my 90 toyota i bought and then finds its limits yea it may not be a sharp knife now but after the sas you will be happy then until you have the money to sas have fun and take her wheeling anyways it is ok i vent all the time just in other ways like punching a hole in the window of my truck :mad: bad idea

Last edited:
The one and only downside to having an IFS rig is the fact you don't have a straight axle. As anybody knows a very well built toyota typically toss's the stock spring hanger, steering setup(you have the right steering box for crossover-a plus), spring and spring shackles. So you in-deed have a good rig just alot more limited than a stock SAS rig is all..

Thanks for the reassurance guys:kiss: :flipoff: I think I'll just look for a cheap used IFS lift and use that for now until I get some money.

hey my wheeler is a 87 4runner wheeled as much as possible when it was stock then i got a set of 33's keeped on wheelin it for a year like that just cause it doesnt have a straight axle or a lift or very much or a lift you can still go 4wheeling and have fun with it. it takes time. all i can say is just wait save up some money and do the sas it isnt very hard. but in the mean time wheel it how it is if you want to wheel. oh and if you do want to make it a wheeler first and easiest thing to do is weld your rear end and that will help alot. one of my friends has an 88 toyota pickup that he wheels its bone stock except we welded the rear end and put 35s on it when we go wheelin and that thing can go places for being stock.:corn:

like i said earler my 90 is ifs but i dont let that slow me down any i will still try and go every ware a sas truck will

4x4travis said:
Thanks for the reassurance guys:kiss: :flipoff: I think I'll just look for a cheap used IFS lift and use that for now until I get some money.

You will regret it. Start collecting parts for the sas instead of polishing the ifs.

Crashy-poo is right. You have a better building platform with the 87, allready have proper steering box pre mounted for crosover, it's newer-a plus and super-duty 4" lift bumpstops mount right to the bottom of the frame nicley for limited uptravel.

And FYI A SAS is waaaayyyyy easier than swaping everything else. You dont want that junk factory hanger anyway.

TB-F said:
Crashy-poo is right. You have a better building platform with the 87, allready have proper steering box pre mounted for crosover, it's newer-a plus and super-duty 4" lift bumpstops mount right to the bottom of the frame nicley for limited uptravel.

And FYI A SAS is waaaayyyyy easier than swaping everything else. You dont want that junk factory hanger anyway.

X2 be patient and do your research. Unlike me,do it right the first time. :;

save 1500- 2000 and do the swap its well worth it, for the mean time put am locker in the rear cause that stays the same and wheel it they go pretty good as ifs locked up

lilyota said:
save 1500- 2000 and do the swap its well worth it, for the mean time put am locker in the rear cause that stays the same and wheel it they go pretty good as ifs locked up

you can do a SAS for way less than 1500-2000.

More pluses to starting with an 87...

You already have the right steering box for crossover (mentioned already), you have the wide track rear end, you have fuel injection, you have the larger brake calipers for the vented rotor swap, larger rear drum brakes, larger master cylinder, etc.

Just go wheel the damn thing while you save up money. My girlfriend has an 87 4Runner and she wheels it. She doesnt whine nearly as much either :flipoff

Haha, Im just messing around, she complains everytime we go out that she wants a SAS done. Shes used to riding in mine and not getting tipped over and all around since mine just flexes under you.

In any case, I say save your money instead of lifting the IFS, gather SAS parts, and do that. In the mean time, just wheel what you have!

~T.J.

Toyotanut said:
you can do a SAS for way less than 1500-2000.

sure if you like getto fab.and no gears and no locker no tires no high steer and long travel shocks, brakes, front axle ect ect the list can keep going plus all little stuff you dont think about

Do it right the first time

Last edited:
thanks for the input. I think I will just save my money. It'll only take a year or two to get enough for a SAS :redneck: (I like this smiley cause I'm missing the same tooth lol)