• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Will a AW4 fit a Dana 300? need tech help

BLT94YJ

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this ****. I searched Pirate and on here can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for.

I have a YJ with a 4.0/AX15 mated to a flipped and sticked dana 300. I know the AW4 will go to the dana 300 with an expensive adapter, but shouldn't the clocking ring work just as good?

Thanks in advance for anybody's help.... I also assume in order to run the transmission with a manual shifter I will need to get a http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.radesignsproducts.com%2FRail.html&h=BAQEoHTpN rail controller..

Re: Re: Will a AW4 fit a Dana 300? need tech help

Yes it will work, the clocking ring is used for spacing (if I remember correctly) and you will need a shifter like the one from RADesigns.
Here is the shifter I'm using on my conversion.
ejehesuv.jpg

ynuhadam.jpg

Rokcrler said:
Yes it will work, the clocking ring is used for spacing (if I remember correctly) and you will need a shifter like the one from RADesigns.
Here is the shifter I'm using on my conversion.
ejehesuv.jpg

ynuhadam.jpg

thanks bud! I like that shifter a bunch..you got a part number on that bad boy?

http://radesignsproducts.com/site/0cbe6b4845e04ad2ac00dc4b10d9c541/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fradesignsproducts.com%2FWinters_Shifter_Kits.php#2802

I don't know which shifter I'm using, only difference I see between them is the gates which I'll mod for my trans once is installed.

No need for wiring on any special shifters. Bolt it up and manually shift it with the factory AW4 shifter. Ran this setup in my YJ.

With out running the electronics how does it go into gear. I'm pretty sure it will only go into reverse.

Not real sure how it worked out in Kerry's YJ, but the AW4 does shift with Electric Solenoids, so you can shift individual gears with toggle switches or get the cool rad design shifter set up. As far as main shifter, rob a shifter and cable from a XJ, remove the cable that attaches to the brake, you can grind the reverse gate lockout into a ramp, then this will allow you to shift from rev-drive-rev without pushing the button but will still keep "park" and "low gears" locked out so you have to push the button.

Yes you will need to wire up the RAD shifter. I swapped out a AX15 and went to the AW4. I used a stock XJ shifter and used the Rad shifter in reverse mounted behind it. I got the RAD install kit with 2 toggle switchs and lights. I love the way it works. I have a lot of pic's if you want to see. I hard wired it to the AW4 and used the T-converter lock up. I love it and don't break as many parts.

I literally did nothing to mine. D300 bolted to an AW4. Start motor put in gear, worked for 4 years. Sure I didnt have OD but who needs that?

xjjeepdude said:
Yes you will need to wire up the RAD shifter. I swapped out a AX15 and went to the AW4. I used a stock XJ shifter and used the Rad shifter in reverse mounted behind it. I got the RAD install kit with 2 toggle switchs and lights. I love the way it works. I have a lot of pic's if you want to see. I hard wired it to the AW4 and used the T-converter lock up. I love it and don't break as many parts.

I would love to see pics..! Yes I have seen the RAD shifter and was planning on using it in addition to some sort of shifter..but stock xj sounds even better. Please post a bunch of pics if you could or e-mail them in mass to [email protected].. I would really appreciate it!

@kpattereson..I got your FB message..I will call you after meetings today..

My main concern however is still the fitment to the dana 300..seems it's about an issue with spacing..any other feedback?

I too would like info.
From all the research I have done, do you need the stock shifter to shift from park to reverse to drive you need the rad shifter to shift from first, second, third.

You don't specifically need the RAD kit as this can be done with push button stitches, paddle switches etc... it just makes things easier.

Yes are correct. I will email you several pic's in the morning. I don't have them on this computer. The pic above is not a rad shifter. It is a winters or a art carr with the rad kit on it.

xjjeepdude said:
......The pic above is not a rad shifter. It is a winters or a art carr with the rad kit on it.
I know, I assembled it. I didn't want to have two shifters to operate my trans.
Looking forward to the pics