• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Will trail gear full hydro work on a cj7

Doylerd

I'm looking into doing full hydro on my cj Has anyone out there used trail gear full hydro on the jeep

Re: Re: Will trail gear full hydro work on a cj7

Biggest thing will the stroke of the ram work for your application. Toyota is a 6" stroke, I'm not sure what a dana 35 or 44 is.

Re: Re: Will trail gear full hydro work on a cj7

gtmcgeejr said:
Biggest thing will the stroke of the ram work for your application. Toyota is a 6" stroke, I'm not sure what a dana 35 or 44 is.

They make 6, 8, &10.

44 is 6inch stroke. D60 is 8inch stroke rock wells are 10 inch. General rule of thumb

Re: Re: Re: Will trail gear full hydro work on a cj7

Jpyke15 said:
44 is 6inch stroke. D60 is 8inch stroke rock wells are 10 inch. General rule of thumb
It's all according to how long your steering arms are from the knuckle pivot point.

Buy a PSC pump ! I know of 4 1650 psi from TG in the last 6 months that have problems three of them were mine ended up with PSC solved my problem

I have been looking for a psc ,but I don't know want pump/ kit to use my jeep has a 5.0l ford

TBItoy said:
It's all according to how long your steering arms are from the knuckle pivot point.

This. I'm confident I could use an 8" ram on my Toyota front due to how long my hi steer arms are. But less turning, means less binding, even with birfs, and I'm too cheap to make the swap. molaugh

TacomaJD said:
This. I'm confident I could use an 8" ram on my Toyota front due to how long my hi steer arms are. But less turning, means less binding, even with birfs, and I'm too cheap to make the swap. molaugh

I've used 8" rams on the last 2 Toyotas I built. One had custom top/bottom double sheer steering arms and the other uses the stock low steer arm and another arm welded to the knuckle for double shear.

No wonder your turning radius sucks so bad!

TBItoy said:
I've used 8" rams on the last 2 Toyotas I built. One had custom top/bottom double sheer steering arms and the other uses the stock low steer arm and another arm welded to the knuckle for double shear.

No wonder your turning radius sucks so bad!

Yup, it's terrible. My whole entire steering system is terrible. One day when I find some buried money or something, I'll buy a whole new system with better name parts.

TacomaJD said:
Yup, it's terrible. My whole entire steering system is terrible. One day when I find some buried money or something, I'll buy a whole new system with better name parts.

I've never used a Trail gear orbital, I've always used open center - non reactive Eaton-Charlynn or Sauer-Danfoss valves, but the trail gear ram and pump I used have been great for years.

My TG full hydro kit worked awesome on the toy axles and the TG pump turns my summit machine ram perfectly.

Does anyone have a link or part number for a orbital I need for a Toyota? I don't want a return to center. And do I need to go with a 8" ram with a Tacoma width rock assault housing with 6 shooters? Sorry for the thread jack.

easleycrawler said:
Does anyone have a link or part number for a orbital I need for a Toyota? I don't want a return to center. And do I need to go with a 8" ram with a Tacoma width rock assault housing with 6 shooters? Sorry for the thread jack.

How many turns lock to lock do you want?

easleycrawler said:
Umm, damn. Wasn't expecting that question. :dunno:

And what ram will you be using?

Email me at the email in my sig and I'll send you a handy excel spreadsheet that me and patoyee made up for hyd steering setup comparison