• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winch help

GRNTACO

This Space Blank
I was rewinding my winch and it decided to stop half way through. I can hear the contactors clicking but no go. I let it set for awhile still nothing. Anything I can do?

Warn 9.5 XP

Dude I had the exact same problem. Check my grounds, ripped the motor apart. Still nothin. Sometimes it would work fine, but you put it under load, and nothing. The soleniods would click away, but no motor worky worky. Either in or out.

I traced the problem to a bad battery connection. It was still making enough connection to power the solenoids, but not enough to power the winch motor. It was strange. I replaced the battery connector and all is well now.

And yes same kinda problem you are describing. It would work sometimes, than when you REALLY needed it, it crapped out.

Dude I had the exact same problem. Check my grounds, ripped the motor apart. Still nothin. Sometimes it would work fine, but you put it under load, and nothing. The soleniods would click away, but no motor worky worky. Either in or out.

I traced the problem to a bad battery connection. It was still making enough connection to power the solenoids, but not enough to power the winch motor. It was strange. I replaced the battery connector and all is well now.

And yes same kinda problem you are describing. It would work sometimes, than when you REALLY needed it, it crapped out.

When you say "bad battery connection'' and "replaced the battery connector" what do you mean?

I checked all of the grounds that I could find. I replaced the ground that goes from the battery to the chassis just for fun. I tightened everything, kicked the tires a few times.........:mad:

This winch has already had a new motor put in under warranty and now I think it may be the same thing. I will tear into it on Monday and if I can't find anything obvious I may tear into it of have someone look at it.

When you say "bad battery connection'' and "replaced the battery connector" what do you mean?

I checked all of the grounds that I could find. I replaced the ground that goes from the battery to the chassis just for fun. I tightened everything, kicked the tires a few times.........:mad:

This winch has already had a new motor put in under warranty and now I think it may be the same thing. I will tear into it on Monday and if I can't find anything obvious I may tear into it of have someone look at it.

I mean the connection at the positive terminal at the battery was bad. It "LOOKED" good, and even flowed 12v power to the winch solenoids. But the connection wasn't good enough to flow enough amps. I finally figured it out by watching the positive battery connection while bumping the winch control. You could see it arcing and sparking just A LITTLE bit. I fiddled with the connection and the winch worked. So I replaeced the concetion at the battery and it has worked fine ever since.

I thought it was the wierdest thing. I was getting 12v at the winch, but it wasn't doing anything. All the right solenoids were clicking, the power was flowing through the motor to ground.... I thought the motor was toast.

I mean the connection at the positive terminal at the battery was bad. It "LOOKED" good, and even flowed 12v power to the winch solenoids. But the connection wasn't good enough to flow enough amps. I finally figured it out by watching the positive battery connection while bumping the winch control. You could see it arcing and sparking just A LITTLE bit. I fiddled with the connection and the winch worked. So I replaeced the concetion at the battery and it has worked fine ever since.

I thought it was the wierdest thing. I was getting 12v at the winch, but it wasn't doing anything. All the right solenoids were clicking, the power was flowing through the motor to ground.... I thought the motor was toast.

Hmmmmmm....I will mess with it Monday.:awesomework:

Hes busy with Halo 3
My 6 yr old has beaten it twice, and once on Lengendary, what's the hold up???

Back on topic:

Did you check the brushes? Mine were sticking and when they ground down to a certain point they were no longer making enough contact to turn the motor, it was clicking, but nothing was happening.

My 6 yr old has beaten it twice, and once on Lengendary, what's the hold up???

Back on topic:

Did you check the brushes? Mine were sticking and when they ground down to a certain point they were no longer making enough contact to turn the motor, it was clicking, but nothing was happening.

Beat it on 9/25, Legendary, got all the skulls, meta points and treminals.:D

I jumped the terminals like Warn suggested and the motor doesn't go forward or reverse. I will call the tech and see what his next suggestion might be.

What type of mounting system is the winch mounted to? Are mounting bolts installed from the bottom or through the front face of the mount plate/bumper?