• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winch rope ideas for a cheap skate.

kushKrawlin

So after piddling with my winch, and rolling the cable back up.. I started thinkin, there has to be an alternative To the 250 dollar winch rope! I'm sure that there's some kind of rope that can work. Any ideas? I have used my winch now a total of 0 times, being the reason I will not be speeding money on one , But this cable blows.. For some reason I always expect a loose cable to be hangin out and rip my hand open. Wooo weeee that would smart. I know some of you crafty Fawkers got something figured out! By all means, spill the beans. Thanks fellas. :woot:

kushKrawlin said:
So after piddling with my winch, and rolling the cable back up.. I started thinkin, there has to be an alternative To the 250 dollar winch rope! I'm sure that there's some kind of rope that can work. Any ideas? I have used my winch now a total of 0 times, being the reason I will not be speeding money on one , But this cable blows.. For some reason I always expect a loose cable to be hangin out and rip my hand open. Wooo weeee that would smart. I know some of you crafty Fawkers got something figured out! By all means, spill the beans. Thanks fellas. :woot:

Call custom splice & ask them if they have any "scrap" in lengths long enough to suit you

muddinmetal said:
Call custom splice & ask them if they have any "scrap" in lengths long enough to suit you

I've done this three times or so. My only advice is make sure you buy a bigger (diameter) rope than you think you need.

I wouldn't skimp too much...when you need it, you generally REALLY need it and don't want it to fail when you're in a precarious position... Just my $0.02...

I gotta buddy that has a huge roll of rope the power company uses. But it's been sittin out so long there's no way I'm using it. Plus it's a lil thin. Gotta be Somthing out there! Cheap.. Like almost free. :smoke:

jeff150 said:
X2 I have ran this for 3 years and use it almost every ride to pull a Jeep up something. :stir:

Looks like a really good deal

I wish I would have bought some that was thicker just for piece of mind

Re:

Always good deals on Amazon for around 150-175 dollars.

I'm actually using one from Tractor Supply called Traveler. Used it a few times on my rig....no "missing a wheel pulls"....but got me unstuck when wedged up in a tree and a rock slab.

Get one of the spools of the Amazon/Ebay cheap stuff and sell your cable to offset the cost. There are people out there that still buy cable surprisingly.

Re:

Keep your eyes peeled on good ole hardline, I've picked up several ropes here cheaper than other places I've seen.

http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.com/Arachni-Synthetic-Winch-Line_c_11.html

Arachni Synthetic Winch Line from Olympus Off Road, i think they are in Colorado.

I ordered one of these in a 150 foot length a few months back. i had thought about posting this back then, but i wanted to use this rope frist before i told anyone what i thought about it. I have used it a few times but nothing to hard. it is hard to beat this price for such a High Tensile Strength and all of the advantages a rope has over a cable.

i talked to a guy named Daniel and he was great to deal with and answered all of the questions that i had because i was a little reluctant to change to a rope. So far i am glad that i changed, getting cut by a cable SUCKS!

if you talk to him tell him i sent you from Hardline.

Wesley

Re: Winch rope ideas for a cheap skate.

ftoy516 said:
http://olympusoffroad.3dcartstores.com/Arachni-Synthetic-Winch-Line_c_11.html

Arachni Synthetic Winch Line from Olympus Off Road, i think they are in Colorado.

I ordered one of these in a 150 foot length a few months back. i had thought about posting this back then, but i wanted to use this rope frist before i told anyone what i thought about it. I have used it a few times but nothing to hard. it is hard to beat this price for such a High Tensile Strength and all of the advantages a rope has over a cable.

i talked to a guy named Daniel and he was great to deal with and answered all of the questions that i had because i was a little reluctant to change to a rope. So far i am glad that i changed, getting cut by a cable SUCKS!

if you talk to him tell him i sent you from Hardline.

Wesley

Fuk that guy and Olympus. He is a liar and a scumbag. I bought a rope from them before Labor Day last year and got a pink rope that was horribly faded from its original red color, which is what I ordered. I sent my friend that was a rep at the time-before he moved from mass to Colorado because Daniel promised to foot the bill and let him help build their KOH/ U4 car- and he worked it out where I was set to get a 15% discount refunded from the rope purchase. The rope apparently faded from being outside in the sun for two days at a race which I also called BS on. The refund deal was set up in September I believe, I didn't get it in my paypal until I found him on my friends FB group talking about how much customers loved his products and prices. I sent him screen shots of my conversation with my friend about the refund and he told me he had never even heard of that before. Then I sent him screen shots of his conversation with my friend telling him it wasn't a big deal. Fuking scumbag. Anyway, I get my refund of $22 dollars or something about a month after we first talked, so probably 5 weeks ago now. He can do refunds instantly but it took him a month to send me $20 something dollars. He has been banned from ford raptor forums along with a few others, he has lied to many other customers that I know of personally, and he has also promised people work and steady pay when they move their entire life across the country only to be met with lies and deceitfulness who eventually quit. He is on his 3rd round of people in his "shop" that I know of and he bad mouths the groups before worse that the others. I've seen pics of "Olympus lights from their factory in China" and ebay lights at half price and they're exactly the same. He also owes me some rock lights but I knew going in to it I'd never get them.

Well i didn't have that kind of experience with Olympus, and i hate that you did.

I ordered my rope in Feb. but if you had that experience then it is defiantly worth warning folks then.

Good customer service means everything and is hard to find expecially in this sport.