• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

winch rope q's

Toyotanut

Is it true that you need a heat sleave for the winch rope when used with a lay down winch? Have heard that the first wrap around the drum will melt.

Not that I have heard of. Most of the rope guys have an abraison sleeve that is 10 to 20 feet long. They use this incase they have to pull thier rope close to trees or rocks to keep it from fraying. Just an anti chafing device is all it is.

Toyotanut said:
Is it true that you need a heat sleave for the winch rope when used with a lay down winch? Have heard that the first wrap around the drum will melt.
Yes you need to get the fire line because the all whinches except for the 8274 have drums that get hot. The heat of the drum will damage the winchline/rope

KarlVP said:
Not that I have heard of. Most of the rope guys have an abraison sleeve that is 10 to 20 feet long. They use this incase they have to pull thier rope close to trees or rocks to keep it from fraying. Just an anti chafing device is all it is.

I know about the abasion sleave...I actually have rope, but was curious about the heat issues around the drum

JACKED944RUNNER said:
Yes you need to get the fire line because the all whinches except for the 8274 have drums that get hot. The heat of the drum will damage the winchline/rope

this is true for planetary winches. worm drive winches do not have this problem, as the "Rack" is used for pulling, reversing, and load-holding and does not rely on an in-drum brake.

Toyotanut said:

No...not true.

Don't have one, never used one, don't need one.

I to have never had a problem without this sleeve you talk of. Only time I had a problem was when I was stupid:D

I'm runnin spectra grey and have never had a problem. Lately I pulled it off the drum and inspected the entire line, cut it in half, rewove both sections, and am currently running 50 feet and storing the other half. No melt downs noted.

iceman said:
is the nylon rope worth the money as compared to cable?..
Hell yes! It's practically weightless and it's a dream to handle. No gloves required. Plus you can easily do your own splicing.

Do some research. It's just marine rope. Get it from a rope supplier and it's not nearly as expensive as a premade winch rope. Find some tubular nylon for an abrasion sleeve (see other thread for links), learn to splice it, and you can make your own rope in the comfort of your own living room.