• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winches!!!!!!!

The 8274 is a good winch, but in my preference I'll never have one, I'm not about to sacrifice performance for a winch that is marginally better....

You've got a toy, do it like I did it, put a lay down between the radiator and engine down low.....

so my dad gave me an old 8274 and it will need all new solenoids but the gears all look good any good places to get them?

Lockes up my newly rebuilt 8274 as it is NOT on RubyDoo yet and once it is on, Going to a friends and have the bolts tacked on.

The 8274 is a good winch, but in my preference I'll never have one, I'm not about to sacrifice performance for a winch that is marginally better....

You've got a toy, do it like I did it, put a lay down between the radiator and engine down low.....

any pics of that set up???????

I broke my case and then my brake on my 8274, I didnt really like how big it was. I now have an x8000I that is older but works good, I dont really think that the speed/power of 8274 is much more noticeable. I like the x8000i at the end of the day much better though.

When it comes to a winch there is no such thing as overkill.

Yes, and no.

most bigger winches have more pulling power by gearing, so the bigger you go the slower you go.

With my 8274-50, I have to be about 1500 rpm in first gear to keep up with the winch. I like to be able to drive at the same speed as the winch.

Yes, and no.

most bigger winches have more pulling power by gearing, so the bigger you go the slower you go.

With my 8274-50, I have to be about 1500 rpm in first gear to keep up with the winch. I like to be able to drive at the same speed as the winch.
That is what I really like about the 8274s

The only thing I don't like is that it's kind of a bear to free spool the cable out.

Most likely its not mounted square. Thats usally what causes them to drag like that. It dosent take much to make them drag mine was only off by about a 16th and it was as you described. I can literly run with the cable from mine now.

Most likely its not mounted square. Thats usally what causes them to drag like that. It dosent take much to make them drag mine was only off by about a 16th and it was as you described. I can literly run with the cable from mine now.

Hmm... I'll have to take a look at my setup. After searching a bit about the problem, I know that I need to take the brake assembly apart and clean up/lube the internals, but I also have trouble free spooling it even when I have someone hold the brake pawl out of the way, so it may be the mounting. I have it mounted on a factory warn plate, and have gone through all of the bushing surfaces and rotating assembly for the drum. Maybe my mounting plate is tweaked.

I currently run a WARN 9500 High Speed on my 1st Gen and its impressive for its size and weight. That said, I'm moving it to the rear and mounting my new 8274-50 on the front. Besides the reliability, the line capacity is awesome on the 8274. I burried my truck this winter in the mountains and needed to winch myself out, the line capacity on my 9500HS was down to two wraps and I prayed that it would hold enought to get me out. It sure would have been nice to have that extra 60plus feet of line.

Got that problem solved now! 8274 baby.

So yeah, mount that heavy, awkward son of a $%#@!. And be glad you did when it counts.

My .02 cents

I currently run a WARN 9500 High Speed on my 1st Gen and its impressive for its size and weight. That said, I'm moving it to the rear and mounting my new 8274-50 on the front. Besides the reliability, the line capacity is awesome on the 8274. I burried my truck this winter in the mountains and needed to winch myself out, the line capacity on my 9500HS was down to two wraps and I prayed that it would hold enought to get me out. It sure would have been nice to have that extra 60plus feet of line.

Got that problem solved now! 8274 baby.

So yeah, mount that heavy, awkward son of a $%#@!. And be glad you did when it counts.

My .02 cents

You do know that winches pulling power is rated with only two wraps on the drum. Every wrap after that the winch has less pulling power. Thats why I like my M12,000