• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Windows 8.1 vs Windows 10

TacomaJD

I LIKE CHEAP STUFF.....
I have a free upgrade available from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 on my Lenovo laptop. I've been putting it off because I am unsure of enough info to confidently do the ugrade. I don't use my computer for anything special other than basic web stuff and online classes. I have absolutely 0 complaints about Windows 8.1, but don't want to be left in the wake of Windows 10 I guess. I believe the free Windows 10 upgrades expires at the end of this month, so I've got to quit postponing the update and decide to or not to upgrade.

Your experiences with 10?

I HAVE 10 AT WORK AND 8.1 AT HOME BOTH WORK OK MY PC AT HOME HAD SOME PROGRAMS THAT WOULDNT RUN ON 10 SO I DELETED IT AND REINSTALLED 8.1 BNUT NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE IN EITHER ONE

My computer man said Do NOT upgrade to 10. Je told me he would come by and take the update alert off my computer. Also my accountant said the same thing.

Any computers we get at work with Windows 10 get downgraded to 8.1 before they are distributed. Stability and software compatibility are the primary reasons.

I left my personal laptop on all night by mistake. When I went to use it, it had upgraded to 10. F'n hate it.
They have moved some of us at work to 10 also. Various programs I use throughout the day randomly crash and I can't shut them down without IS or bringing the entire computer down. It's so bad, that they have been slowly moving everyone back to the old windows.

RebelRider said:
I left my personal laptop on all night by mistake. When I went to use it, it had upgraded to 10. F'n hate it.
They have moved some of us at work to 10 also. Various programs I use throughout the day randomly crash and I can't shut them down without IS or bringing the entire computer down. It's so bad, that they have been slowly moving everyone back to the old windows.

Note: After the unwanted upgrade, you are REQUIRED to check a box accepting the UNLA. If you check no, it will revert back to the original operating system.

I have upgraded both my 8.1 machines to 10. However, my main laptop is still on 7. Runs good for me, so no reason to change.

JohnG said:
Note: After the unwanted upgrade, you are REQUIRED to check a box accepting the UNLA. If you check no, it will revert back to the original operating system.

I have upgraded both my 8.1 machines to 10. However, my main laptop is still on 7. Runs good for me, so no reason to change.

Unfortunately, I didn't follow the golden rule of "Just because it's new, doesn't mean it's better". So I did accept.

Re:

Good, I will cancel update all together. Why in the hell does **** have so many damn problems as soon as they release it? Looks like they'd test it more thoroughly before the release date.

I never did 8.1. But I've upgraded everything to 10 now and really prefer it over 7, which is the last version I had. I've got about 10 computers running it now between all the company and personal stuff.

I was a skeptic at first. But progress is progress. You'll eventually HAVE to upgrade for some reason or another.

Company I work for just upgraded everybody to windows 10 from 7. I havent had any major problems other than the typical setup steps.

The windows 10 upgrade is free until July 29, 2016 and shortly after that they are discontinuing support for all other windows operating systems.

My understanding is that they are not coming out with any new operating systems in the future but rather only updating 10. Might as well jump on board while its free.

All of our work computers automatically updated to 10. Now that I have been using it for a few months, I prefer it to the earlier versions. It did take a little while to get used to it at first.

BTW, Win10 is WAY faster than 7. It will make an old computer seem new again. My wife was complaining about how slow her computer had become so I upgraded it and now she loves it again. Saved me the cost of a new computer.

I like that you can check the task view and I also like how you can do a 4 way split screen, where as on the older versions you could only do a split screen (with 2). I have to do a lot in excel so it is helpful.

smbroady82 said:
I like that you can check the task view and I also like how you can do a 4 way split screen, where as on the older versions you could only do a split screen (with 2). I have to do a lot in excel so it is helpful.

How do you split screen?

Derek12v said:
Company I work for just upgraded everybody to windows 10 from 7. I havent had any major problems other than the typical setup steps.

The windows 10 upgrade is free until July 29, 2016 and shortly after that they are discontinuing support for all other windows operating systems.

My understanding is that they are not coming out with any new operating systems in the future but rather only updating 10. Might as well jump on board while its free.

They will not be discontinuing support, only not offering previous OS versions on new units sometime this year (all new units will only come with Windows 10, but that doesn't mean they are discontinuing support for previous OS). Support for 7 is established until 2020 I believe, that's what our work computers all run; and I think 8.1 runs til 2023. By then, I will probably have had two more laptops, so I think I'll say fawk Windows 10 for now and run 8.1 until my current pc shits the bed. I'm not a fan of change unless it merits significant benefits molaugh I also can't afford the risk of any complications during a school semester, too much school work due via my pc - which is the main reason I've continuously put off the upgrade.

patooyee said:
How do you split screen?

1. open a screen up ( word, excel, internet explorer or whatever)
2. downsize it (doesn't matter to what size just hit the button)
3. left click on the top of the page you are on and then "sling it over to one side or the other"

it should split the screen exactly in 2, then you can do it again with another document, screen or whatever to the other side

in windows 10, you can do that to each corner of the screen to split it 4 ways

let me know if you need any help with it thumb.gif

smbroady82 said:
3. left click on the top of the page you are on and then "sling it over to one side or the other"

it should split the screen exactly in 2, then you can do it again with another document, screen or whatever to the other side

Works like a charm! That's so cool! Thanks!

Re: Re: Windows 8.1 vs Windows 10

smbroady82 said:

Nerd....That is all :flipoff1:
I just use 2 monitors split 4 ways :dblthumb:

TacomaJD said:
They will not be discontinuing support, only not offering previous OS versions on new units sometime this year (all new units will only come with Windows 10, but that doesn't mean they are discontinuing support for previous OS). Support for 7 is established until 2020 I believe, that's what our work computers all run; and I think 8.1 runs til 2023. By then, I will probably have had two more laptops, so I think I'll say fawk Windows 10 for now and run 8.1 until my current pc shits the bed. I'm not a fan of change unless it merits significant benefits molaugh I also can't afford the risk of any complications during a school semester, too much school work due via my pc - which is the main reason I've continuously put off the upgrade.

By shortly I meant in 4-7 years obviously... thumb.gif