• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Winter prep

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So since I have a nice camper thats worth a **** I figured I would get it ready for winter.

So you seasoned rv veterans what kinda stuff do ya do to get it ready?

Most important thing is taking care of your water lines. Easiest way is to drain the water from the tank/hot water tank and blow all your lines with compressed air using a fitting like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008VSB0DE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_X7g.xb52953ZR Then dump some RV antifreeze in the P-trap to keep them from freezing and you are done.

I would also put something inside to help with moisture like a dehumidifier or desiccant.

Do not use any of the tank cleaner/antifreeze treatments, unless the fresh tank is already funky tasting or your water will suck for a long time. Best thing is to clean tanks with fresh water, drain tanks real good, and blow out lines. Pull the plug in the water heater tank (should be a plastic threaded plug or removable sacrificial anode) and make sure you get as much water outta that as possible. Some people I know use a light left on to fend off moisture/ keep temp up, but one of those little dri-z-air silica dyers left In There will keep a lot of the moister down. Just make sure you check it often. Mine usually pulls so much water it'll over flow! :bbbball:

So since I have a nice camper thats worth a **** I figured I would get it ready for winter.

So you seasoned rv veterans what kinda stuff do ya do to get it ready?

Do a search noob! :flipoff:

All of the above and I take one step further and leave a heater in mine. I figure it is parked next to the house plugged in so why not. I also dump a bit of antifreeze in the traps just in case once I blow all the water lines out.

All I ever do is drain all the water, pull the plastic plug on the hot water heater like S-box said and leave all the water valves open. Also like S-box mentioned I use the dri-z-air dryers in and check about every 1-2 months but I usually have 2 of them going. I also put some window covers that snap around the inside of the windows and leave all doors/drawers and fridge/freezer open. Ive been I've been doing this for 6+years with no problems.
I also keep mine under a carport, but before I built that I made a wood(2x4) frame that went on top of the camper and put some tarps over it. that helped keep the moisture out and debris off better than no cover but the car port works alot better.

i pull my batteries too and keep them in a warm dry shop.
If they are low in charge and freeze , it turns them into junk.
or keep the unit plugged in all winter

So I assume that plug is the one I wanna pull to drain the hot water tank?

One thing I have noticed when I use the tank and get the water hot the water has kinda funny taiste. Is there something I can use to clean it out with?

And as for draining the fresh tank I assume thats what the petcock at the back of the camper is for?

Attachments

• tmp_19792-20161018_175234-1001915288.jpg
    tmp_19792-20161018_175234-1001915288.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 147
Yeah that is the plug. You can use a water and vinegar mixture to clean out the hotwater tank, it will remove a lot of the scale that builds up inside.

I bought one of those 2 part tank cleaning deals off amazon when I had my trailer and cleaned the fresh tank out, hot water tank, and all the lines out super good before using any of it even though i wasnt using it for drinking

I got one of those moisture absorbing cups and left all the cabinets open and a small heater set on the lowest setting as well never had an issues...other than the window over the counter leaked like a mofo lol