• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Wiring relay advice and help

Beefcake

Looked for threads but didn't have much luck if anyone knows of one lmk.

I'm building a buggy, build thread is large Marge she's a 4 seater 5.3 th400 atlas build.

I'm getting towards the light at the end and I'm looking for advice with wiring. It shouldn't be too hard I bought a complete harness from schwankee and a circuit breaker panels from 12 volt unlimited. Only thing I know is I need to add a few relays? I figured ignition which would house fuel pump and starter etc. fan, and then maybe one for my lights?

I suck at wiring. Anyone that could point me in the right direction or show me how they set their buggy up it would be a huge help.

Beefcake said:
Not it does not.

hmm

how is the fuel pump and all that run? Every engine harness I have seen has a fuse box with it. It will have relays for fuel pump and a few other things along with it.

I personally dont have relays on any other normal "accessories" Everything is run through a fuse or a circuit breaker

Relays are useful for turning on multiple accessories or high amp/high draw accessories with one switch or with a small or under rated switch. Like turning on 1000 watts of lights with a micro toggle switch and more importantly for turning off things when you need them to shut off. High current devices can jump the gap created in a switch or weld the contacts together making it impossible to turn off. Relays have a higher current rating typically and will be more capable of handling the loads run through them and the heat that may generate. Relays also allow you to run small gauge like 18awg control wiring into the passenger compartment to turn relays on and then all the heavier gauge high current stuff doesn't have to pass through a firewall or be inside on the switch. It does make wiring a little more complex but once you understand all the pins on a relay you can do all kinds of dumb stuff with them.
I used seven relays on my build and it was probably overkill. One low speed and one high speed relay for the two speed fan. I used one relay for all my running lights. Seperate relays for fuel system and ignition system. One for the radio dash lights and gauges. And one for a 40 inch light bar.
If you ever want to bounce ideas off somebody or chat about electrical crap pm me Id be glad to help. Goes for anybody here on hardline.

Warewolf SD said:
Relays are useful for turning on multiple accessories or high amp/high draw accessories with one switch or with a small or under rated switch. Like turning on 1000 watts of lights with a micro toggle switch and more importantly for turning off things when you need them to shut off. High current devices can jump the gap created in a switch or weld the contacts together making it impossible to turn off. Relays have a higher current rating typically and will be more capable of handling the loads run through them and the heat that may generate. Relays also allow you to run small gauge like 18awg control wiring into the passenger compartment to turn relays on and then all the heavier gauge high current stuff doesn't have to pass through a firewall or be inside on the switch. It does make wiring a little more complex but once you understand all the pins on a relay you can do all kinds of dumb stuff with them.
I used seven relays on my build and it was probably overkill. One low speed and one high speed relay for the two speed fan. I used one relay for all my running lights. Seperate relays for fuel system and ignition system. One for the radio dash lights and gauges. And one for a 40 inch light bar.
If you ever want to bounce ideas off somebody or chat about electrical crap pm me Id be glad to help. Goes for anybody here on hardline.

I take that back, I do have relays on my fans too (Volvo fan relay for 2 speed fan). But I don't have them on lights or anything like that

Hey thanks for the input I have since took my harness out of the box and looked it over I have a fuel pump relay as well as a small fuse block. I need to do more research but I have hooked up and tested serval of my components. I think I'm going to run a relay for my fans as well as ignition. I'm having a friend give me a hand whose pretty knowledgeable so hopefully we'll get ol girl fired up soon.