• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

woodlee's hustler

I want to see it in HD. Am I hearing it correctly or did that thing grawl as it was flying by.

Ok guys I'm sorry I haven't been around here much lately but I guess you guys know where I have been hiding. Last month was crazy. I have worked every day since New Year rides were over. But man driving that thing yesterday made it all worth it. I can't say enough about all of the help I have had on this buggy especially from Jeff Smitty. He has been just as committed to making this thing happen as I have.

First of the thing is LOUD. I mean nasty LOUD. When we built the exhaust we made sure to leave plenty of room for some single chamber flow masters where the other mufflers are. I will use the flow masters for trail ridding and long distance stuff like KOH, but keep the ones on there now for hill killin and XRRA.

The day started out by pulling the buggy out of the shop for the first time and loading it on the trailer to go ride. NO run time out of the shop!!! We got to the trails and took off only to see the temperature creeping up :gay: I have always had problems getting all of the air out of LS engine cooling systems. Since my MAST engine controller powers the fans and keeps the engine at the right temp then I didn't see any reason for a thermostat. We took that out and backed the back of the buggy up on the trailer to make sure all of the air was out and refilled it with water. We took off and all of the cooling problems were gone.

The brakes need to be bleed out some more to get a good firm pedal but it was ok. The steering sucked. It was hard all day long and this is priority of things to fix before I go ride again. Even with the hard steering and sucky breaks I got to get a good feel for the buggy. The visibility of it is awesome. I drove it all day and didn't even use a spotter. It was great. the sucky steering pushed me to take some crazy lines in the rocks and the buggy ate em up like it was nothing. Never felt loose at all crawling and after five mins in the seat I felt already at home. The front end never felt light or anything like that but I didn't get on any thing stupid steep. I fell like it is going to be good though on that stuff to. Driving fast through the woods is a blast with the 108 inch wheel base the rear follows the front very well. The steering sucked so bad the rear steer was not even usable. I can't wait to drive it with rear steer because it will be so nibble with the 45 degrees of steering in the front along with the rear steer it should be easy to drive in the rocks.

I want to trade two of my front springs out with two of my rear springs then I think it will be on time for some by pass tuning. This thing jumps better than any thing I have ever driven before. It had only been driving for a couple of hours and I had jumped it higher and father than any thing I had ever jumped before. It landed smooth and was easy to jump. In the video after i landed I had to drive through a 10 foot wide gate opening about 10 feet from where I was landing and it was easy to do!

Here is a video of one of the other jumps sorry about the crappy quality
th_Jump2.jpg

The engine is strong but no uncontrollable unless you want it to be. If the steering was good I would get to see just how good it is. I hooked up with a new company when doing this engine and all of the details will be in the build up thread. But I just have to say it is awesome. Big motor with reliability and stock GM electronic sensors all the way around.

I am very happy with the way the buggy turned out and now I am going to get as much seat time as I can before KOH. Build some skins and rock out to So Cal. and giving it hell.

I know you guys are hungry for pics so here are a few of it until I can get the build up updated.

Looks awesome Woodlee. Is the motor Drive by Wire? Also nice harness on the passenger side, I bet I know who picked that out.

Cole said:
Looks awesome Woodlee. Is the motor Drive by Wire? Also nice harness on the passenger side, I bet I know who picked that out.

You know who picked that out. You just better keep Lori from seeing it until your buggy is done or you will have some too. All I can say is Natalie has been awesome through this whole deal of me building a buggy. She has been super supportive and that is all she wanted to go in the buggy. So she got it, but I did get another black set for when she doesn't ride. :dblthumb:

Yeah the engine is drive by wire but I had to use it with a variable valve timed motor. I could have locked out the VVT and went with a cable , but it would have cost me 60 horse power. The guys at MAST said that it would be quicker than a cable and I was really reluctant to use it. I hated the one in your jeep that used the factory computer. The one in my buggy works great though. I can't tell any difference between it and a cable. You will see when you drive it :driving:

how are you liking the twisted stitch seats?
i like how this turned out. its badass that you can branch off onto a new style of buggy than what you normally do.
turned out excellent
what steering setup did you go with? pump etc.
:woot:

Woodlee said:
You know who picked that out. You just better keep Lori from seeing it until your buggy is done or you will have some too. All I can say is Natalie has been awesome through this whole deal of me building a buggy. She has been super supportive and that is all she wanted to go in the buggy. So she got it, but I did get another black set for when she doesn't ride. :dblthumb:

Yeah the engine is drive by wire but I had to use it with a variable valve timed motor. I could have locked out the VVT and went with a cable , but it would have cost me 60 horse power. The guys at MAST said that it would be quicker than a cable and I was really reluctant to use it. I hated the one in your jeep that used the factory computer. The one in my buggy works great though. I can't tell any difference between it and a cable. You will see when you drive it :driving:

Yeah I am not showing Lori those pictures because sure enough I would have to get them.

Cool that the Drive by Wire works like that. I figured it had to be better than what I had for you to be running it. I am curious to see the build up of your motor.

muddyblzr said:
how are you liking the twisted stitch seats?
i like how this turned out. its badass that you can branch off onto a new style of buggy than what you normally do.
turned out excellent
what steering setup did you go with? pump etc.
:woot:

The seats are one of my favorite things I bought for the buggy. I love them and they feel safe. They head rest fits me like it should and the sides hold you in tight. I would suggest them to any one want high quality seats.

Every thing that rolls out of the shop is different but this one is way different than anything I have ever built before.

The steering is a mix of parts witch is bad to do. A PSC pump a POS rear steer valve, HOWE cooler and cylinders that I had built. The cylinders may be the cause of burning up the pump. So it may be very well my fault. I'm not blaming any one until the problem is fixed though.

The build up of the motor is simple install a cam, valve springs, some lifters, valet tray and let er eat. The thing is you just have to start with a L76 or L92 engine.
This is what I ended up with basically http://www.mastmotorsports.com/sandcaroffroad.php the LY6 HO

good looking buggy, looks like you've out done yourself again. can't wait to see it in action. looks like a blast to drive.

That thing is bad Woodlee. Great job. It looks like it will fly. Can't wait to see it on some South Eastern stuff in the future. :driving: Hope ya'll do good at KOH. :dblthumb:

:dblthumb:

I dig it. Im curious to see it work. When Shannon built the rear engine two seater, it was a huge compromise and didnt seem to work very well. Yours is bangin.