• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

worth the effort? swapping a dana 35 for a 44

Rich1

I looked--I listened--I changed
I seem to be under the impression, that running 33inch tires on a stock wrangler dana 35 with either a 4 or 6 cyl is asking for trouble?

so i have the chance to get a stock wrangler tj dana 44 rear axle.

my Tj still has the stock D35 w/ open diff, and i'm up on 33's now. would this effort be worth it, about $500 for the complete D 44 w/ a LS in it.

worth the price and swap or hold out, stay light footed and wait for a better choice axle?

------- Thx, ahead of time.

:corn:

My 07 ruby has d44 front and rear with 32`s and 4:10 gears and runs really well with NO worry about breaking.

I would have to say yes a good idea.

yes, you will spend a lot more than that trying to upgrade the 35 to what the 44 is stock. drive sane and the 44 will be fine with 33s. You dont need a 60 for 33s no matter what the masses will say:rolleyes:

the 35 will be fine w/33"s....... bigger than that then you may think about an axle swap.

*worry about that bling'n D30 you have up front first :redneck:

yes, you will spend a lot more than that trying to upgrade the 35 to what the 44 is stock. drive sane and the 44 will be fine with 33s. You dont need a 60 for 33s no matter what the masses will say:rolleyes:

I hear alot of upgrades to that D 44 can be very worthy, but at what cost compared to the other choices -

i'm pretty wise to the quirks of the D 35, and have no problem getting out and pulling cable, vs replacing a axle in winter out on a muddy cold trail. but, would it be cost effective, to start from stratch with a different axle set-up for the rear versus a direct bolt-in D 44?

then if so suggested, axle upgrades to it.

again thank you for answers, :awesomework:

your always so helpful:awesomework: I knew I could count on you:cheer:
Just ribbing ya Jim. Hey I know alot of you Jeep only guys will get all bent up, but if it was me I would consider a Longed 30 spline toy axle. Now hear me out before you get your panties in a bind, as they will have stronger axles,Ring and pinions are a wash, bigger brakes, but why not. I know a toy axle is pass drop, so that would be the only hangup. Not that i care because I am a dana 60 guy, but i figuired I would toss iit out there.:corn:

Just ribbing ya Jim. Hey I know alot of you Jeep only guys will get all bent up, but if it was me I would consider a Longed 30 spline toy axle. Now hear me out before you get your panties in a bind, as they will have stronger axles,Ring and pinions are a wash, bigger brakes, but why not. I know a toy axle is pass drop, so that would be the only hangup. Not that i care because I am a dana 60 guy, but i figuired I would toss iit out there.:corn:

you know better than to think your gonna hurt my feelings on a bbs:eeek: but hes looking at a rear and its only 5 bills. seems like a good deal for an upgrade to me.

Jim said it perfect :awesomework:

hes looking at a rear and its only 5 bills. seems like a good deal for an upgrade to me.

thats what i figured as well.

even though i just did the lift, etc... it's worth it to me to yank back out the rear and just simply swap in the new one. versus a ford 8.8 and re-setting brackets, and etc.

thx, Jim:;

For the Price of a Dana 44 that is out of a TJ, you could easily put new brackets on an 8.8 and be way better off, a stock open d35 will handle 35's quite well, it when you lock them that they become a problem.

Latest posts