• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sold/Expired www.40spline.com

I think most of your sales will be with stock 30 spline, and 40 spline spools. If you sell any 35 spline it will probably be for a 14 bolt front as mentioned above

I like the 35 spline offering. It will have its place.

Anyone know the pressure angle / contact area comparison between the 30 spline and 35 spline? Which is actually stronger, just out of curiosity.

crawlin85cj said:

Anyone know the pressure angle / contact area comparison between the 30 spline and 35 spline? Which is actually stronger, just out of curiosity.

I know the 30 spline is a bigger diameter than 35 spline.

When you hold them side by side, the 30 spline "looks" stronger.

I've always wondered how important splines really are. I know from an engineering point the same dia. with more splines is stronger but they rarely brake at the splined section no matter how many splines there are and look at rockwells and other coarse splined shafts that have few splines with minor dia. less than other axles that break way more easily.

mitaker said:
I think most of your sales will be with stock 30 spline, and 40 spline spools. If you sell any 35 spline it will probably be for a 14 bolt front as mentioned above

I agree. We'll probably put a few 35 spline units on the shelf for this very reason. If we can help our customers build a new 14 bolt and save some $$$ I'd call that a win.

crawlin85cj said:

Stock 14 bolt 30 spline - 37.5 degree PA
Stock 35 spline - 30 degree PA
Mark Williams 35 spline - 45 degree PA
40 spline - 45 degree PA

Mark Williams has a good little tech writeup in their axleshaft section that talks about pressure angles and major diameters, etc. Good read.

patooyee said:
I've always wondered how important splines really are. I know from an engineering point the same dia. with more splines is stronger but they rarely brake at the splined section no matter how many splines there are and look at rockwells and other coarse splined shafts that have few splines with minor dia. less than other axles that break way more easily.

Not as important as most people think. We get conditioned to thinking more splines are better from early on since most of us start out with something stock or close to stock and as we upgrade shafts the spline count increases. But, just like you say look at stock rockwell shafts or even look at the 36 spline 2.375" Trophy Truck shafts. One of the reasons 14 bolt shafts are so strong is the size of the shaft plus the pressure angle of the splines.

Re: Re: Re: www.40spline.com

krackem said:
Why do I know this name does this fella live in Chattanooga, particular East Brainerd area swear i know the name

Yeah Chattanooga somewhere... Other screen name is redneckengineered

Got a 16 spline broach (stock rockwell)? No immediate plans, just curious. Would make a 14b/rockwell hybrid easy without having to weld up a stock carrier with rock spiders.

greenlion said:
Got a 16 spline broach (stock rockwell)? No immediate plans, just curious. Would make a 14b/rockwell hybrid easy without having to weld up a stock carrier with rock spiders.

No, but I can make any broach for a couple grand. That's an interesting thought.

Spools are almost done. Also, expect to see pricing to come down a little from what we initially forecasted :dblthumb:

The light at the end of the tunnel is bright! We'll have these on the shelf ready for shipment in two weeks. I'll post final pricing next week.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    151 KB · Views: 54
I've hinted at this before but I thought you guys might like to see what we're working on next. These are already in the pipeline and should be available within 4 weeks thumb.gif

Attachments

• shaft_concept.jpg
    shaft_concept.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 54
Any plan to offer all the parts necessary to convert a standard 14 bolt rear axle to 40 spline? New spindles, machined hubs, bearings, seals, axle shafts, locker, etc.

knaffie said:
Any plan to offer all the parts necessary to convert a standard 14 bolt rear axle to 40 spline? New spindles, machined hubs, bearings, seals, axle shafts, locker, etc.

We thought about it and may offer package deals at some point down the line. Right now we are focused on the R&D of our own 40spline.com products. If we offered a package deal to make it easy to convert we would be incorporating products from other vendors because frankly there are already good options out there for the machined hubs and spindles.