• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

XJ steering box problem. Any Ideas?

gh3

A friend has an XJ that keeps blowing the power steering box. I was wondering if anyone had any good cheap ideas to fix this. I believe he only running 33" tires. The factory box just doesnt hold up. Can he put a different steering box on there that will take care of this problem with a tiny bit of fab work or none at all.

Thanks

You can use a durango steering box I have one on my xj you just need to shim it out a little more from the uni body.you can use a few washers.It bolts right in.

Are you sure the box is the root of the problem? Those box's are not horrible, so continually "blowing" them might be a sign that there is another problem.

What do you mean by 'blowing', is it exploding? leaking? loose? Are they used? or remans???

Pull box off... brace and plate BOTH sides of the unibody with a kit... Fix the dimensions of the track bar also...:awesomework: I ran 33's on both my last 2 xj's and never had issues....

A friend has an XJ that keeps blowing the power steering box. I was wondering if anyone had any good cheap ideas to fix this. I believe he only running 33" tires. The factory box just doesnt hold up. Can he put a different steering box on there that will take care of this problem with a tiny bit of fab work or none at all.

Thanks

I have seen people use these box's on other rigs that are running way larger then 33's... Driver/ builder error...

is fluid getting to the box... could be a pump problem. I know they sell kits for bracing these steering boxes but i dont see any reason you should keep grenading box after box without something else being the root of the problem.... unless the ones you've owned and replaced were shitty replacements.

Ive pushed my OEM power steering setup on my 90' YJ and have lost and overworked pumps which eventually made me throw a cooler and hydro assist on to help the overall steering setUP. But since the cooler/assist upgrade no issues so far KNOCK ON WOOD!:redneck:

is fluid getting to the box... could be a pump problem. I know they sell kits for bracing these steering boxes but i dont see any reason you should keep grenading box after box without something else being the root of the problem.... unless the ones you've owned and replaced were shitty replacements.

The box starts binding up after a few trail runs. He might actually have a problem with the box and pump now. If he is getting water or something in it.

I will ask him.

Pull box off... brace and plate BOTH sides of the unibody with a kit... Fix the dimensions of the track bar also...:awesomework: I ran 33's on both my last 2 xj's and never had issues....

he is not having problems with the mount thats all tight he just keeps going throw boxes. Maybe he just got some crappy boxes. Or there is something inthe pump thats killing them.

I would either check or replace pump, I can milk those boxes forever so im assuming that there is another reason the boxes are going bad.

I would bet his pump is bad. I run 35" tires fully locked with the stock box and pump and have had no problems. It is a bit tough to steer when I am not moving and I had to brace the box and frame, but the box still works fine.

Well we figured out that the pump ended up having some gunk in it. So we put a new clean pump on and box and we will see if it holds up friday in elbe.

Thanks for all the input.

Well we figured out that the pump ended up having some gunk in it. So we put a new clean pump on and box and we will see if it holds up friday in elbe.

Thanks for all the input.

right on man :awesomework: when **** like that happens just do a run through of the system especially when its repetitive its usually something else thats triggering the problem.... goodluck at elbe though :redneck:

Latest posts