• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

YJ 4.3/4L60E conversion

Thanks guys. I was looking forward to a wheeling weekend but ended up having fun anyways.

Went to Salmon la Sac area (which was beautiful), but made me yearn for Liberty. I'll get there...

Went to progress more on the motor this weekend, and typically progressed backwards!! :mad:

This is starting to drive me crazy and I can see why so many people give up on projects. It's been fun but I took apart a perfectly good running Jeep (sans clutch) and haven't had anything to show for it yet.

So, Jeep runs like ****... We figure that one of the clips on the injector hose was missing (I tried to RVT it in), that must be our problem. It's really the only thing that could be causing the engine to run like crap and have no power whatsoever.

So I take the whole plenum off and take a look...

2012-06-02_13-08-26_961.jpg

2012-06-02_13-30-57_189.jpg

Yup... Fuel in that valley... fuel's leaking from somewhere...

2012-06-02_13-32-27_386.jpg

2012-06-02_13-32-41_528.jpg

So $$ again... (that's kinda been my solution to my problems... Keep throwing money at it!!:awesomework:)

2012-06-02_14-28-06_994.jpg

I also replaced the return lines as well...

2012-06-03_18-48-06_447.jpg

2012-06-03_18-47-54_607.jpg

Simple (costly) repair... I've done this a few times already...

I go and finger tighten all the plenum bolts and of course, luck isn't with me on this one. The back two shorter bolts are stripped out. :mad: Sure, why wouldn't they be??

So with built up frustration, I am going to the hardware store and getting two longer nuts and bolts, a long 8-10" drill bit and I'll drill out those two back holes and bolt the plenum in from the back.

Then, three to four wires to plug in and a prayer that I'll have every bit of horsepower in that engine. If not... I dunno what to do if not...

I just hope once this is up and running my D30 doesn't just grenade on me the first time out.

Went to progress more on the motor this weekend, and typically progressed backwards!! :mad:

This is starting to drive me crazy and I can see why so many people give up on projects. It's been fun but I took apart a perfectly good running Jeep (sans clutch) and haven't had anything to show for it yet.

So, Jeep runs like ****... We figure that one of the clips on the injector hose was missing (I tried to RVT it in), that must be our problem. It's really the only thing that could be causing the engine to run like crap and have no power whatsoever.

So I take the whole plenum off and take a look...

2012-06-02_13-08-26_961.jpg

2012-06-02_13-30-57_189.jpg

Yup... Fuel in that valley... fuel's leaking from somewhere...

2012-06-02_13-32-27_386.jpg

2012-06-02_13-32-41_528.jpg

So $$ again... (that's kinda been my solution to my problems... Keep throwing money at it!!:awesomework:)

2012-06-02_14-28-06_994.jpg

I also replaced the return lines as well...

2012-06-03_18-48-06_447.jpg

2012-06-03_18-47-54_607.jpg

Simple (costly) repair... I've done this a few times already...

I go and finger tighten all the plenum bolts and of course, luck isn't with me on this one. The back two shorter bolts are stripped out. :mad: Sure, why wouldn't they be??

So with built up frustration, I am going to the hardware store and getting two longer nuts and bolts, a long 8-10" drill bit and I'll drill out those two back holes and bolt the plenum in from the back.

Then, three to four wires to plug in and a prayer that I'll have every bit of horsepower in that engine. If not... I dunno what to do if not...

I just hope once this is up and running my D30 doesn't just grenade on me the first time out.

those plastic pieces dont like to sit, that and its time is due. i ve had three of these 92/93 motors and had to replace the spider on all three after they sat. remember to call me when you cant time it correctly with the marks:redneck: another quirk with these motors.:haha:

i am very happy with the results after all the head banging to get mine to run right.:awesomework:

I don't like to say I told ya so but................................................been there done that!

And, Hip's right they are a good motor but when you read through his and my builds massive frustration is common.

Oh and your D30 :haha:!

11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Make sure on that CPI motor that you pull the plenum and inspect the spider for leaks. The regulator can leak, the small black lines can wear through also. I would change the 2 fuel lines connected to the spider "nut kit" as a maintenance item.

Good luck with the swap, I like my 4.3 a lot.

Back in November I would have never thought I was going to have to take it this far... I knew an older motor would need normal maintenance, but I thought I'd cross those bridges as they came. I didn't think I'd have to do it all at once. I remembered you saying that to me more than once and I knew I'd hear of it again. :flipoff: There's been a few things that you've said that I was one or two steps behind before I listened... I really appreciate your advice.

I also browsed that Lindertech site... I paid $215 for a Borg Warner injector kit... So I hope it'll work for 40-50k miles... that could take 100 years for my Jeep. And it won't see any sitting around.... I hope that at least once or twice a month, I'm starting it or driving it.

I'll search for yours and HIP's posts about your builds... I recall browsing thru yours once, but that was a while ago and I just don't remember. But I'll look again.

And HIP.... I'll see tomorrow how it gets together and how well it runs... I think we set the timing but I'll ask Aaron since he helped a lot with that. I tightened the distributor when it was right.

I guess if you want to post (or PM me) with what we should look for, I could read that to him. Or PM me with your # and I can call you if we need. Aaron is a smart guy and had the same year Vortec in an older Samurai of his. So he may know already. :awesomework:

It was fun to go back and read all my old posts... I can't believe how many times I said how close I was and how many times I've pulled the plenum apart and never did anything... (And how many times I thought this was going to be a budget build :puke:)

There is no such thing as "almost done" and "cheap build" when working on a wheeler. You just take it in stride and hope that one day you get to wheel the piss out of it as a punishment for being a PITA.

:awesomework:

Be careful with the BWD spider. I got two of them that had the regulator set too low and it would still run like ****. Take a second to check the fuel pressure after you get it hooked up.

Be careful with the BWD spider. I got two of them that had the regulator set too low and it would still run like ****. Take a second to check the fuel pressure after you get it hooked up.

OK! I will tomorrow first thing... LOL! I promise, I'll listen to you the first time!!

So we spent time looking at 'everything'.
Checked each and every spark plug wire... made sure they were connected and not resting on a header.
Pulled #1 plug and verified TDC... painted white on the line that was right at TDC (on the harmonic balancer).
Re-installed the plug and wire, disconnected the Howell harness (right at or behind the distributor).
Set the timing to zero.
Re-plugged that wire back again, let the Jeep idle while the radiator was burped and brakes were bled.
Computer {seemed to have) advanced the timing about 10 degrees.
It ran, revved and seemed to be ok. It kept stalling out every time it was dropped into 4th gear (at idle), but moved ok when revved and dropped into gear.
Tried driving it around but the transmission wasn't acting right...
Drove a bit more and had to climb underneath and more accurately set the linkage for the transfer case...
It was in low range, before we made the adjustment I wasn't able to push the handle far enough forward to get it into high range.
Got it into 2wd high and it's missing... It's just not running right. It just seems like it's not running on all 6...

It got to be 9:30 and I had to leave.

Dammit it's something!! Isn't it something?? Right? I figure that my options are either something or nothing... and I don't think it's nothing, so it must be something!! :awesomework::awesomework:

Oh!! Went to the junkyard!!

$160.00 from O'Rielly's or $20.00 for the junkyard...

I replaced the Intake Manifold Tuning Assembly. When I pulled off the old one, it came off in two pieces.

2012-06-05_17-04-15_938.jpg

He's the 'newer' one.

2012-06-05_16-45-45_840.jpg

2012-06-05_16-46-16_124.jpg

I checked the newer one by putting power to the purple wire side (and a ground to the other pin). It clicked and jumped into place... So I know the newer one works.

But that was early into the night. :rolleyes:

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid24.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc33%2FSMC4WD%2Fphotobucket-2129-1338964999886.mp4">

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid24.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc33%2FSMC4WD%2Fphotobucket-1147-1338964336993.mp4">

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "almost done" and "cheap build" when working on a wheeler. You just take it in stride and hope that one day you get to wheel the piss out of it as a punishment for being a PITA.

:awesomework:

Oh ya... We need a 'Like' button because, HELL YA!! It's being such a PITA!! Man, those TV shows can get it all done in a half hour!!

Sooooo?:wtf:

i cant play the videos it says "video not found"?

my book says to set the timing different then what you described.....but that didnt work anyway.:redneck: wait never mind that was to set the timing belt that was different then anything i had ever done. it used the number 4 cylinder???

maybe cause its a chevy 350 with the front cylinder lopped off so you have to use something else?:haha:

i plugged a vacuum gauge into a port and set the timing to 20" vacuum with the sprout unplugged. locked down the distributer there. plugged in the sprout and the ECU took over from there.:awesomework:

the timing marks are at lest 60 degrees off.:D

i plugged a vacuum gauge into a port and set the timing to 20" vacuum with the sprout unplugged. locked down the distributer there. plugged in the sprout and the ECU took over from there.:awesomework:

the timing marks are at lest 60 degrees off.:D

What? You set timing with brussel sprouts now???? :fawkdancesmiley: :haha:

What? You set timing with brussel sprouts now???? :fawkdancesmiley: :haha:

sprout prom what ever the little thing is that attaches the ECU to control timing. its early and i had cocktails last night....:cool:

sprout prom what ever the little thing is that attaches the ECU to control timing. its early and i had cocktails last night....:cool:

Ahhh bummer no brussels sprouts, I thought it was like that potato light bulb thing from 5th grade science........:redneck: