• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

yj axle swap...

wider than stock but you can fix it with offset rims since he will most likely have to dump that small pattern...as no real axels i know of have it?:fawkdancesmiley:

:haha: ya no **** right... but for some odd reason the 9in has that pattern:flipoff:

and he won't spend the cash on new wheels like i said he doesn't have a lot of cash to spend on this right now... guess he will just start carrying a couple sets of axles and unit bearings:rolleyes:

hmmm:eeek: whats the lug pattern on the axles and he rig is a drivers side drop

8 lug. I know his rig is DS drop, but if he's running a D300, aren't they easy to flip? (I keep hearing they are) I admit not knowing much about the tcases of the CJ/YJ bunch.

I may be persuaded to sell the front D44 from the '83 J10 I'm parting (currently planned to go into my '82 J10 if the M20 rear ratio isn't the same as mine) I'm going with a swapped trans and tcase to my 304 anyways, so it doesn't matter which side drop for me. The J20 axles will still bolt right into it!

Last edited:
8 lug. I know his rig is DS, but if he's running a D300, aren't they easy to flip? (I keep hearing they are) I admit not knowing much about the tcases of the CJ/YJ bunch.

:haha:he wishes it was a dana 300, i want to say it is an np 241 or something like that....:eeek: ya i don't no much about the jeep things either that is why i started this thread:redneck:

:haha:he wishes it was a dana 300, i want to say it is an np 241 or something like that....:eeek: ya i don't no much about the jeep things either that is why i started this thread:redneck:

Other Jeeps I know about the tcases, like XJ, MJ, ZJ and FSJ (I've had a couple D20s but no D300s or NP231s)

wider than stock but you can fix it with offset rims since he will most likely have to dump that small pattern...as no real axels i know of have it?:fawkdancesmiley:

Yup. You'll end up with 5 on 5.5, 6 lug, or 8 lug when swapping in real axles.

he already have tr beadlocks on a 5x4.5 pattern so the last thing he wants to do it swap it all out for six lug

basically we have a rear axle and are looking for a front,

the 9in is 65 in wms to wms. any idea what the stock yj is?

The only option for something stronger is a unit bearing 44 out of a mid 80's dodge truck. That'd have to be cut down as it is full width.

Your buddy just needs to man up and sell his wheels if he want's to swap in anything strong enough to worry about. :;

The only option for something stronger is a unit bearing 44 out of a mid 80's dodge truck. That'd have to be cut down as it is full width.

Your buddy just needs to man up and sell his wheels if he want's to swap in anything strong enough to worry about. :;

agreed... but i doubt he will:rolleyes:... well atleast not until his drivetrain is detroyed,:awesomework: and with 35's i am sure it won't take long, as this was is first almost real wheelin trip out since he bought the 35's:haha:

find some 78/79 bronco stuff and just make spring perches.

HP44 front drives drop, needs perches
9" rear with leaf springs, needs perches relocated.

I have a tj and am researching axles also. What is the width on the stock 78/79 broncos and the 77 and older (early) broncos?

The 9" he's got is likely from a mid/late 70's ford/mercury car, which came with the 5 on 4.5" BP....

:eeek: i thought he was tellin me it was out of a truck/suv... so it comes with 4.56's but no chunk will a center section/carrier with 4.10's work with the 4.56's or will he have to buy a new carrier?

:eeek: i thought he was tellin me it was out of a truck/suv... so it comes with 4.56's but no chunk will a center section/carrier with 4.10's work with the 4.56's or will he have to buy a new carrier?

It'll work (just did one, went from 4:10 to 4:88)...:awesomework: I presume you're talking about swapping the 4:56's onto the 4:10 carrier?
I don't know of a truck or SUV (which pretty much left the bronco as the only candidate for SUV) that had the 5 on 4.5.....Which pretty much left the fullsize sedans as donors for 5 on 4.5" BP....
Pretty much your buddy needs to pony up for a set of wheels, and go find a set of '80 (pretty sure that was the starting year of the driver drop waggy 44....) and later waggies....

Last edited:
Hell, I have a set of 15x8 steelies I'd trade ya for that spool!!!:D

haha:flipoff: right... if they were TR beadlocks he would have no problem selling them... but he bought then so damn cheap that he can't justify spending more money when his **** works the way it is... well atleast he thinks it does, i am sure when he blows up a few more shafts and what not he will think alittle harder about it.... ya i was talking about putting a 4.56 gear set on a 4.10 carrier thanks for the info...

also do you no what the bolt pattern is? 5 on 5.5 or 5 on 4.5

waggy axles are six lug, 6x5.5... they are 60.5 inch wms, there are a few oddballs that are 63 wms in the early eightys, but very uncommon i believe...

there are a few years to avoid when lookin at waggy axles, late 83,84,and 85 all had Vaccum disconnect which means smaller two piece axle shafts and a weak Vaccum actualtor, its pretty easy to tell these axles from other waggy axles cause they will have a wierd diff cover and generally have drive slugs also...the problem is, regular waggy axles also may have came with drive slugs...

example not to get
dana_bad.jpg

i would just look for a waggy with matching 44's, 87-91, the only thing is they came with crappy gearin, but a might be lucky an find a posi-trac...the 80-86 waggys came with a AMC 20 rear, but its quite a bit better than the CJ version, comparable to a 44, just more expensive to work on...