• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yokes interchangable?

wentz912

Are the u-joint yokes between first and second gen toyota drivelines interchangable? As in can I just use a first gen flange on my second gen driveline? My 81 has a booty fab driveline to use the second gen large pattern pinion flange, and with new front diff I will be switching back to the first gen pattern since I am using a spare diff that is out of the truck.

My though is, if both generations use the same u-joint, I can just find another first gen yoke and switch them out?

Your better off with the bigger pattern and bolts.

Another bonus typically the bigger patterned flange yokes allow more angle before binding when matched with the proper driveshaft yoke.

Another bonus typically the bigger patterned flange yokes allow more angle before binding when matched with the proper driveshaft yoke.

Absolutely! First gen shafts are only good for about 25ish degree's while second and on are good to 38ish off the top of my head...

Absolutely! First gen shafts are only good for about 25ish degree's while second and on are good to 38ish off the top of my head...

Go with the second gen:awesomework:

Plus the larger bolts are less likely to loosen up.

how would that be easier? it takes me like 10 mins to change a u-joint?
What I mean is, keep the 2nd gen pattern if you can at all help it....guess I didn't make that clear enough----oh, and it only takes me 5 minutes to change a flange!:fawkdancesmiley::haha:
uh-oh....:eeek:
:haha: Nothing's wrong!:haha: yer rear's done...er wait, that just internets wrong...:redneck:

on the front driveshaft I have now, it is only the pinion end of the whole deal that has the 2 nd parts on it, the rest of it is all first gen. and the diff that I am putting back into the truck has a first gen flange on it, the one currently in the truck has the 2nd gen pattern. Maybe I'm just being lazy.

on the front driveshaft I have now, it is only the pinion end of the whole deal that has the 2 nd parts on it, the rest of it is all first gen. and the diff that I am putting back into the truck has a first gen flange on it, the one currently in the truck has the 2nd gen pattern. Maybe I'm just being lazy.

Well in that case, I'll take that 2nd gen slip yoke from ya...Unclestripey needs it!!!:haha::redneck: