• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Yota's under sammy

NotSoPC

Sammy ?'s

Is there any reason why yota axles would not work as a spring under with a 5" lift on a sammy? I have the axles and would like to upgrade and was going to wait untill I went to YJ's but think I would like to do it now. Plus I broke the rear diff in the sammy axle:mad:.

Last edited:
Zukkev is in the midst of putting Toy axles under a Sami for Unclestripey as we speak. I am not sure, though whether it is spring over or under. I am sure that either Kevin or Jeff will chime in soon.

There are a few people working on it in different places around the net. No reason for it to not work provided you have enough lift to give you the needed clearance for steering and whatnot.

Zukkev is in the midst of putting Toy axles under a Sami for Unclestripey as we speak. I am not sure, though whether it is spring over or under. I am sure that either Kevin or Jeff will chime in soon.

It's definitely goin' spring over:awesomework:...spring under with 5" springs would make it soooo stiff--you will not be happy....JMHO;

Yuppers--Mine is already sprung-over, just need some axles that don't break everytime I breath on 'em....I would think the added work to change yours to spring-over would be minimal and probly ought to be done now while you have it apart.:D

Also, if you are considering going YJ's, and do the yota conversion now (before YJ swap), you will either have to build in the YJ swap on your perches now, or cut the sami perches off, and put the wider YJ perches on later (big pita imo). Not to mention there are some issues with YJ's up front if you don't outboard the springs to match the Yota perches---using Sami springs (or at least the same width) you can make it all work...search PBB, there's a ton of info there.

I ran some trails with a sami last weekend, yj spring under toyota axle, 35.5" tractor tires, did good. I asked about the spring under, he said it helped with axle wrap. I didn't think it would work as well as it did, but it worked good.:beer::beer:

I have a toyota rear "IFS" housing with stock Yj springs and the "jeep eater" bolt on kit ..for sale 150 bucks.....I had 36's on my sam with that set up....spring over...I also have a rear track bar for sale 50 bucks ....

I ran some trails with a sami last weekend, yj spring under toyota axle, 35.5" tractor tires, did good. I asked about the spring under, he said it helped with axle wrap. I didn't think it would work as well as it did, but it worked good.:beer::beer:

Definitely will help with axle wrap, but the other part of the equation--->was it still full bodied, or cut up to fit the tires?...Were there any other pieces to the suspension on it to help with articulation? I know gas's sami worked well (saw it flexed out on a trailer last yr!:redneck:, BUT was back-halved, and tubed out up front IIRC (He could probably get you some better details on it, or pics:awesomework:)...I can also fit 36" TSL's under mine, with still being full bodied, but there was some trimming/or BFH work involved!!!:redneck:

Definitely will help with axle wrap, but the other part of the equation--->was it still full bodied, or cut up to fit the tires?...Were there any other pieces to the suspension on it to help with articulation? I know gas's sami worked well (saw it flexed out on a trailer last yr!:redneck:, BUT was back-halved, and tubed out up front IIRC (He could probably get you some better details on it, or pics:awesomework:)...I can also fit 36" TSL's under mine, with still being full bodied, but there was some trimming/or BFH work involved!!!:redneck:

last year at the swap meet my sammy had a full tub....it was not back-halved at that time....but I did have the nose tubed ...I even had the stock fender flares on the rear.....I ran it like that for a few years the 36 inch iroks did rub once and awhile.......now all that is left of my sam is the cab and 5 feet of frame.....4.3 motor. turbo 350 trans..and toyota duals with the rear case geard

It is full body and only has the calmini 5" on it as is. It sits on 31" tires and I have both yotsa sitting behind the shop. I was thinking that if I go spring over with this lift then it would be too tall but not too sure what too tall is on a sammy.

It is full body and only has the calmini 5" on it as is. It sits on 31" tires and I have both yotsa sitting behind the shop. I was thinking that if I go spring over with this lift then it would be too tall but not too sure what too tall is on a sammy.

If it falls over when you breath on it it's too tall.:haha: 5" on top of a spring over is up there for a rig with such a short wheelbase, even on the toy axles. It'd be tippy, but that's a Sami. I think I'm maybe 4"+/- beyond the spring-over and I've been known to take a dirt nap or two.:D

Last edited:
Ok so spring over and 5" lift =bad news. Sounds like I need to start pulling together the YJ stuff and get ready for the swap. Also the yotas I have have 4.30 gear sets in them. Would this work or would I have to go lower to 5.29's? I have the 6.5 T-case gears in it already. I would like to run 33-10.5-15's.

Ok so spring over and 5" lift =bad news. Sounds like I need to start pulling together the YJ stuff and get ready for the swap. Also the yotas I have have 4.30 gear sets in them. Would this work or would I have to go lower to 5.29's? I have the 6.5 T-case gears in it already. I would like to run 33-10.5-15's.

I've got 6.5:1 case in mine, this also reduces your final drive, as well as your low ratio. The stock gears in a Sami are 3.73's if Im not mistaken. My theory is that since I'm swapping to yota axles(4.10's) and moving from 33's to 35's I'll end up with about the same gearing. My Sami with the 33's turns about 3500 in 5th at 65 or so on sami axles. Soooooo with yer 4.30's and 33's your sami will probably be a little lower geared than it is now.

5" lift plus springover===Waaaay too tall!!!! That's 9+ inches...you'd be definitely opening up a can of worms unless you stretch it....ALOT!!!
If it falls over when you breath on it it's too tall.:haha: 5" on top of a spring over is up there for a rig with such a short wheelbase, even on the toy axles. It'd be tippy, but that's a Sami. I think I'm maybe 4"+/- beyond the spring-over and I've been known to take a dirt nap or two.:D
Dirt Nap...Bwahahaha!!! :haha::haha: If you use stock rear sami springs on all four corners, and add another main leaf to each pack...you'll net almost 1" lift...
4:30's should be a good ratio for your plan....also, plan on doing some sort of traction bar if you plan on wheelin' even remotely hard; you'll 'S' the rear springs if you don't!!

I've got 6.5:1 case in mine, this also reduces your final drive, as well as your low ratio. The stock gears in a Sami are 3.73's if Im not mistaken. My theory is that since I'm swapping to yota axles(4.10's) and moving from 33's to 35's I'll end up with about the same gearing. My Sami with the 33's turns about 3500 in 5th at 65 or so on sami axles. Soooooo with yer 4.30's and 33's your sami will probably be a little lower geared than it is now.
You'd really like 4:88's with your engine!:D Dirt nap...:fawkdancesmiley: