• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Your best 22re MPG

2slow4you

What do you all get? what's the best MPG you've seen or heard of in a 22re 4x4?

I've been getting right around 17 mpg highway at best in my 87 4runner fully loaded w/32x11.5R15's, 1"bl, and armor. (moderatly ok running motor with bad Wrist pins)

I ask because a close friend of mine claims he is getting 28mpg with 32"TSLs, BJ lift, and light armor on his 91 DLX standard cab. His motor was recently rebuilt with RV cam, port match/polish, oversized pistons, K&N, larger intake tube, header and exhaust.

Does this sound possible or is his math off?

Best I ever got with the 4runner when it was stock, 24mpg on the highway. I doubt that he is really getting that, butt who nose.

I believe his motor runs good enough to get 28mpg in stock trim, but the whole 32's and 4.10's leaves me wondering. I believe him, but he has to be getting the best MPG on record for a 22re 4x4. :corn:

crash she had 35's and 4.10's?

I'm guess comparing a 4runner and a standard cab isn't exactly fair due to the weight diff.

17-19 is the best we ever got with the wifes 4 runner.

That's with an auto and not a 5spd though.
Best I get now with 529's, 33" tires and dual cases is 21 on the highway (with no hills :fawkdancesmiley:). My 90 4runner is a bit heavier than your wife's runner even Crash. Weighs in at 4600# empty.

Last edited:
What do you all get? what's the best MPG you've seen or heard of in a 22re 4x4?

I've been getting right around 17 mpg highway at best in my 87 4runner fully loaded w/32x11.5R15's, 1"bl, and armor. (moderatly ok running motor with bad Wrist pins)

I ask because a close friend of mine claims he is getting 28mpg with 32"TSLs, BJ lift, and light armor on his 91 DLX standard cab. His motor was recently rebuilt with RV cam, port match/polish, oversized pistons, K&N, larger intake tube, header and exhaust.

Does this sound possible or is his math off?

Does he have manual front hubs or drive flanges??? If he has hubs then maybe but if drive flanges then I call b.s.

My 91 got around 28 mpg, kind of. It had 31" MTs and stock gears with locking hubs, 22re and 5 speed. The big boost in mileage was from a k& N FIPK and a complete Downey exhaust. The kind of part is that I was figuring mpg without the odometer difference from the bigger tires, but even if I did the math it was still pretty good mileage.

26-27 hiway on 31's and stock, tired ass engine.

Now I get about 12-14 MAX

26-27 hiway on 31's and stock, tired ass engine.

Now I get about 12-14 MAX

In my boat now huh rix. :D

Yes he has manual hubs. OK well I know what I need to do then, different intake tubing/filter, and an exhaust. I could really use another 3-5 mpg. :awesomework:

the best Ive ever gotten in my 93 standard cab short bed on 32's is 21 on the freeway. but usually gets around 17-19. but the 22re has 230,xxx on it so shes a little tired

85 4runner,5.29's with 35 AT's, and the odo regeared to match, the best i get is 18.

if he didnt fix his speedometer gear to match, then his reading will be off.

My '85 XtraCab gets 22-24 mpg. It's fairly stock 'cept for an ARB bumper w/ a winch up front. Also has an LC Engineering catback exhaust.