• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Your WORST wheeling experiance

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
In light of the rescue thread over in the chatter box lets hear your wheeling horror stories. I have quite a few from over the years and as I have time I will type some of them out. But lets hear what ya got :cool:

Wheelin with my cousin in his jeep when I was about 12 (circa 1977). We were camped with about 20 members of my family in the Naneum (by E-burg). My cousin and his buddy (20ish at the time) went out to climb "winch-hill" so I tagged along.
We got to the top of the hillclimb and hit a stump with the rear tire. It flipped the jeep over on it's top and we rolled down to the bottom of the hill.
they guy riding shotgun broke his leg, the roll cage (which wasn't mounted to the frame) pinned me to the backseat.

Took us a couple hours to walk back to camp (no CB) while my cousins buddy was pinned in the jeep with his leg broke. the sherriff gave my cousin a ticket for reckless endangerment. :mad: the jeep was totalled.

Jobless said:
Listening to ZP run his pie hole on the internet...gotta be the worst web-wheeling experience ever

Instead of running your keyboard why not tell about how you spent the night on highrider

Was called by my cousin at 8 on a sunday night...he had his 1 ton ford in a mud hole in the snow stuck with 2 debeaded 36 16.5's and a broken front end. Also had managed to get his dad's stock ford one ton up there and it was no longer starting due to battery/starter issues. So I rounded up a couple of wheels/tires and headed up only to realize when I hit the deep snow that I had toasted my front spiders the night before on a snow run. They got me to within a couple hundred yards before they finally gave out and we spent until 4 in the morning getting very wet and cold trying to get all 3 rigs out of the spot they were in. I walked about a 1/2 mile the next morning and got enough nextel service to get a buddy coming with some chains (in another 1 ton ford...I was worried:rolleyes:)

Chained up all the rigs and spent several hours getting down the mountain. Got to work around 1pm and had to turn around and get to school by 3 for finals day:mad:

no, you dont have bad heelin experiences because you still hae teeny tinee tires...

my worst one was... well defne worst, do you mean a wheelin trip gone awry? or just not how you planned it to.

mine was unplanned, and in a buddies backyard....i went down to a freinds house to go recover a truck i wanted for parts and they had just freshly logged so it was quite the mudbog down there. i was told to "stay between the logs" only problem was i had to floor it through a section, over shot the logs, ended up sittin in a 3-4 foot mud hole. i was stuck there for 6 hours. so 2 tow straps, 1 come-a-long and a tow hook later i got tugged out by a buddy of mine.

Evan's Creek in the snow. I'm up there in a Defender 90 w/ ARBs f/r, whinch, and 33s and my buddies in his '87 4Runner bone stock on 31s or 32s. Well he managed to slide off the road going up to the campgrounds. We see there is an abondoned truck in the middle of the road ahead with no way to get around so we decide to winch my buddy 180* and get him pointed straight. This turns into a few hours of digging, laying in snow under his rig which had no good tow points, winching, more digging, etc.

Finally get him turned around and we start heading back out. During the next few hours, I slide off the road once burrying myself in the ditch, and he goes off the road 4 more times! Winch and tow strap were getting serious workouts. His last time off the road landed him about 3 ft away from falling down a 25 ft embankment with few trees :eek:mg:

Well his rig wasn't in the most stable position and we were trying to act fast so we hooked the strap around his stock Runner roll bar and pulled... Nicely kinking and pretzling the bar :redneck: By the time we were done with the day, we were frozen solid and soaked. I've never felt the same way about wheeling in the snow since :mad:

Wheel long enough and you will be in that spot one day, I guarantee it.......
For me.......Wheeling tight ass with a bunch of guys and had your administrator spotting me up a slightly difficult line where I had to use a bit of go pedal. Several tries and I said "one more try". Well this time the drivers
D 60 steering knuckle decides to break promptly ripping the wheel basically off the rig taking the u joint along with inner and outer axle with that. At the same time the rear driveline lets go and flew several yards into the trees/ bushes. Took quite some time to find that. So that left me with 3 wheels, no steering, no brakes and one wheel drive in a difficult spot pointed uphill.:oops: Mike took the knuckle home and welded it back together while I jury rigged the rear shaft and the rest well enough to get it off the trail with much winching. That was a long day and one I won't soon forget.
One day you WILL be that guy.:;

If you've never had a bad experience then you haven't wheeled enough, I was wheeling my toyota (yes, I used to be one of those guys) back in '90, we were up snow wheeling, got stuck (with no winch) and hiked out 15 miles to get help. I now have a winch. Learning from your experiences and others will help you make better decisions when wheeling and be more prepared, as far as some of the better than thou attitudes, I wheel a slightly built trail rig, If I wanted everything easy, I would wheel a buggy or a skidder.

My worst experience was seeing a friend roll down the side of liberty and watching not only as him and his passenger get injured.. but his rig gets toasted too..

It all worked out though, and It was great the way we all came together and did what had to be done.. but it was a bad day and a bad weekend..

the thing is that nothing he did was wrong.. just happened to be a mechanical failure at the absolute wrong time.

http://www.timbertamers.org/runs2002/libertyroll/liberty_rollover.htm

Me and a few friends went up on a Xmas tree run in Mt Baker area 2 years ago the snow was so deep and thawing we each got stuck I broke my winch there was no trees hardly around we ended chaining up the one jeep he had made some chains to fit his 35's and we had his winch line out about 125 ft a couple of 20 ft straps and than we chained my friends rig to that as well and and gave it hell and well the winch quit working right but helped, busted the u joint on the dana 30 but all in all we got out cold and wet but I know one thing I know who I can trust and rely on when out there and I think they feel the same. Long day started at about 9:00 got out of ther about 8:00 that night.

Lesson learned got to fredmeyer for Xmas tree :D

Worst wheelin experience that I don't laugh about now? Prolly the last trip to Colorado in 04. Broke beyond repair on Die tryin in Montrose on the 3rd day of a 8 day trip. :mad: :mad: Also got a hunk of metal in my eye trying to do a parking lot fix....Didn't realize it til the middle of the night but drove all 12 hours home with it there and had to have minor surgery to get it out. :mad: :mad:

A few others were bad at the time, but are fun/funny stories now. :D

nothing too extreme 'cause i wheel at the mall but...

i have alwasy been able to find that "good place to turn around" :D

*wheeling w/shane and ben

6 hour recovery out at the rocks in the '04 taco

*wheeling w/shane and ben

steve, chris and i were out and chris flopped the runner about 1 hour before dark

*i ran for help... ben/shane came back with me and saved him. then on the way home the rear drive shaft jumped off the runner @ 55mph

*as far as being prepared to rough it, i like to think my job has helped me in that department

KarlVP said:
I don't have bad wheeling expierences. Because I don't wheel with dumbasses.
Careful what you wish for. I WILL have the heep back together this spring :flipoff:

We haven't had a really bad day. If figure if you get your **** out to safety without having to spend the night on the trail, you haven't had that bad of a day :D

Latest posts