• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Zeus Build

Any opinions? Both diffs offset or one centered and the other offset.

I can't help but feel like centered would handle better, both offset seems like it would be a bit sluggish on bump/rebound on one side, perhaps able to be compensated for via shock tuning. Total weight of 3rd with the sheetmetal housing (without axle tubes) is about 375#, given an estimated total buggy weight of 5k#, offsetting both diffs only moves the cog off the vehicle centerline by about 3/4" (according to solidworks).

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it...

Eddyj said:
I'm in for update. You have bud thread going anywhere else?

Nope, this is my only build thread. I'm helping my buddy out with building his GT 2.0 buggy at my place but space in the garage is about to get tight!

I'd put both diffs on the driver side.

Better line of sight on your lowest clearance points

long side shafts on your torque side

TBItoy said:

Torque side did you see the motor that's going in it? They are all gonna be the torque side! Haha Woopow

Re:

Subscribed..... Pictures of both builds, no matter how small the space.....please.

Kel Lawrence

Re: Re: Zeus Build

al1tonyota said:
Torque side did you see the motor that's going in it? They are all gonna be the torque side! Haha Woopow
No doubt. You know what I'm talking about, weight transfer/torque twist etc

TBItoy said:

Hadn't thought about line of sight with respect to the lowest clearance point of the axle - very good idea.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Subscribed..... Pictures of both builds, no matter how small the space.....please.

Kel Lawrence

I'll get a few more pics of the "shop" up tomorrow.

Got a little more work done over the weekend. Some genius decided it would be a good idea to leave vast openings in the intake manifold - permitting the entry of debris into the lifter valley should a valley pan not be used. Alas, valley pans are quite thin and our sport is not as clean/dry as the inside of a typical streetcar. As I figured it, if the valley pan is exposed via the openings in the manifold it will simply fill up and rust through... This area also doesn't strike me as the easiest place to keep clean, so I welded all the openings in the manifold closed. My pro-tig 185 wasn't too happy about welding up essentially a massive aluminum heatsink, took the majority of an evening to git-r-done.

Beyond the manifold I managed to complete the blower installation and get the top half of the motor wrapped up minus a couple sensors. On to the next issue, an oil pan designed to go on the motor, just not with a girdle - time to fire the tig back up...

458e191dc9e3f7a7a1d8e58d6dcdd65a.jpg

beckmanracing said:

Love the motor, but that's going to be a lot to look around in front. I have a hard enough time dodging trees without one of those, but this is going to be a fantastic build no matter what. Keep em coming. thumb.gif

dwa2469 said:
I believe he is rear mounting his engine based on the design photos on page 1 :dunno:

Sir, you are correct and I myself am a dumbazz for not seeing it even though I have followed this from page 1. Badassssssssssssssssssssss.. Please proceed.

Got a bit more done tonight, oil pan massaged and installed, trans bolted up. I stacked up some blocks to see how close the seats could be mounted to the motor. Lol, I ran out of cinder blocks so could only mock up the drivers seat. However, it does seem to fit well. Planning to run a full firewall between the cab and the motor.

Pictures shown are at "ride height", 24" ground clearance, 34" to crank centerline, 63" to top of blower intake (this motor is a behemoth!), top of the seat about the same as top of the blower. Looks like overall height will be around 70"-74"ish.

You need a bigger air compressor.

That is a nice looking seat does it have removable cushion or drains in the bottom?

Re:

Ha, yeah I got that compressor for a heck of a deal, might sell it or might keep it... Dunno yet.

The seat does have removable bottom cushions and drainage, very comfy :)

Looks like it's gonna be fun. Any plans to run some sort of blower straps? Hate to see what would happen if it let loose.