• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ZJ auto has only 1st gear

whiterice

Hi all, I have a friend with a mid 90'ish ZJ Grand and the Auto Trans has started to act up. Park, Rev and 1st, the Jeep will not shift out of 1st. Now this isn't my Jeep and I don't own any Auto's so hoping this is an easy fix. The Grand is a young friend who isn't in shape to pay for a auto trans replacement. Is this anything common for these things? :mad: Any input will help. Thanks..

Is it really only in 1st or is it in 2nd? 2nd gear only is limp-mode. Try pulling the battery cables for a few minutes and reset the computer.

Under the glove box behind the dash is a computer that controls the Trans, I had to replace one that had the same issue... I got a used one at pull a part, no issues since...

There is a speed sensor on the bottom of the transmission nearer the tail housing. On 96-98 ZJs if you break this off it will stay in 1st gear. The sensor is cheap and takes all of 60 seconds to replace.

Thanks all for the tips. I have passed them on and will find out if anything has helped. Will update as I find out if anything worked.